Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I purchased my 88 Wing w/ 47k on the clock earlier this summer from the second (?) owner with little history. He had it for only a few months when he decided to upgrade to an 1800.

The PO had only done routine maint, but did install a new front Michelin tire....backwards! I called to inquire about it and he said that he had about 7k on it, that way and was not aware of it. That was changed immediatly.

It has the infamous hesitation and now that riding season has ended, time for a real tune up. With all the knowledge I've gained from this site, I started to tear into it.

First goal was to inspect/replace the timing belts andinstall a 4 deg trigger wheel. With the aid of Rudy's step by step, I discovered that the belts had been changed previously, but had about an inch+ of play. I am able to spin the tensioners with my finger. The right side tensionershows no sign of wear and has no dust/debris collection on it. The left one has some. The belts were so loose, that they actually slap on the lower lip of the casting and the teeth are worn by slapping against (what I am assuming are) the timing sending units.

Do you think I should replace the tensioners even though they have had a pretty easy life?

Again, I think the little black cubes are the timing sending units (correct me if I'm wrong). The right one is actually worn/rounded at the edge by the belt slapping against it. Should this be replaced too and how difficult would it be?

I amthankfull thatthis forum encourages belt replacement, or I may have found myself on the side of the road with some major expenses.

Once I get the timing belts done, I can't wait to use the info gained from this site to sync my carbs!

It is amazing what you find on a twenty year old bike. I removed pounds of home wiring from the PO's. I should get better mileage now! Too bad the price of scrap copper is down.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Rob

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

If the tensioners spin freely without any noise they should be good to use. On the pulse generators if it didn't actually wear through to the windings it's probably OK too.
I don't know what some people are thinking when the add miles of extra wire to a vehicle. I guess they think they know what they are doing.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have another question....well, I actually have many questions.

Withthebelts being that loose, would that haveadded to the hesitation issue?

·
Administrator
26,528 Posts
imported post

Shouldn't matter, the belts pull from the straight side so it would not affect the timing.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

There is a link in this forum that tells how to rebuild the tensioners if needto save money. I replaced mine while I was in the system. Keep in mind my background is a little different than most. I solved my hesitation with two cans of Seafoam. I have not any trouble since. The bikes like to be ridden. Letting them sit allows fuel to do fun things to the carbs and seals. I have always felt that carbs need to by synchronized do to dirt or debris built up in the carbs. Keep them clean and all should run well without synchronizing. I have about 8K on mine since July without synchonizing and the motor is very strong. I know some may disagree with me.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If the tensioners spin smoothly with little or no noise an have no side play when you try to rock them they should be good for a lot more miles. I took a pair of my '93 at 100,000 miles but really didn't need to. By all means change the belt, the slapping can weaken the fibers in the rubber. I wouldn't worry about the pulse generators, as long as you can't see any of the internal wire and the wires are in good condition where they come out of the casting I wouldn't worry about them.

The hesitation was a common problem with the '88 1500. There was a Technical Service Bulletin issued by Honda to deal with the hesitation. Check out the link below and look on your bike for the 'X' mark to see if this has been done.

http://www.gwvest.dk/1500/sb02%20GL1500.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.