Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking for fork caps for my '88 GL1500 that are tapped, maybe with a Schrader air valve, in order to change fork oil easier. ANyone have advice on where to find or how to fabricate?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

When we had the fork bolts off to install the Progressive Springs on my 98 SE, my brother in law drilled (with a drill press) and tapped them for air valves so it became real easy to play with the fork oil levels. Although he took the bolts off and on by hand, caution is urged because of the unknown spring pressures involved, and he is an auto mechanic so this stuff was second nature to him.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks, Greg, that's exactly what Dusty's been telling me to do. Need to find someone with the right tools, though.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

Here is a photo of a set I just did for another member . I put them in a lathe to drill them dead on center and tap the threads . These are SS allen head metric and will be sealed with an O-ring . It's 8mm x 1.25 thread x20mm length .

Today I was in a Tractor Supply store and looked at schrader ail valves . Right at $5.00 each . I should have picked up a pair to see if they will fit into the Interstate/Aspencade caps . The SE comes with air valves ( at least earlier yrs did ). If your bike is down for winter maint and not a rush , I could drill / tap them for you . The time delay is mostly the mailing time each way . I would need the screws you want installed . I will look more into the air valves to see what size it would require to fit .

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Nice job Mike.
The screws will work if you are putting in Progressive spring as they say not to put in any air, just use 15 wt fork oil.
The stock spring setup would be good to add air with schrader valves.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey Mike, thanks so uch for the response and the offer. Today i found some 8mm x 20 screws, o- rings and washers. I'm looking locally for someone with a drill press. Once i get that done i can try to tap it myself. Great photos and thanks again, Mike. Happy 2012!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.