Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I have bought a used 88 Gold Wing GL1500 which the previous owner removed the exhaust from and put straight pipes ( no baffles) which I removed and put a set with baffles but the bike still has a puffing, popping sound from the exhaust at idle.

The bike starts and runs well otherwise, but # 4 plug always ends up wet or overfueled. Could this be valve problem and how would you test, one mechanic tells me the valves are adjustable while another says no.

Also others tell me my problem is in the air system.

Help:baffled:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi skiwhiz and welcome to the forum sounds like no4 spark is weak with the engine running pull the plug lead off no 4 and see if the idle drops or becomes unstable ifnot change the lead after that you will have to do a compression test that will tell you if you have valve leak

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pulling a lead off a plug on a Goldwing may not tell you much, they use a double ended ignition coil so each coil fires two plugs. When you pull a lead from a plug you unbalance the ignition coil secondary so you may induce a misfire in the opposing cylinder. Since three cylinders on each side are fed by one carb it would seem that there is an ignition problem if the #4 plug stays wet and #2 & 6 don't. Swapping the #4 spark plug with another might show if it's a spark plug problem. If it isn't then the ignition lead cap or wiring would be the next bet. I really doubt it is a valve problem if the bike starts and runs well but a compression check should help rule that out. Popping at idle can also be indicative of a bad exhaust gasket or exhaust leak unless you're talking about a full blown backfire.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for some info, but as suggested, it is not a full blown backfire, just little pops or puffs realy, but noticible.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Also pulling the lead off #4 dosn,t do a thing, no change. If I replace the plug, the popping will stop for awhile.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

If the PO had put straight pipes on it, he may have re-jetted/adjusted the carbs for this. Now that you have more back pressure now this can cause the carbs to be off. Does it sound almost like it's spitting and does it do it just at an idle?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Negatary, I had this problem before I changed the pipes.
I also had the carbs done already.
It's not a hissing sound, but a poppinmg sound, but yes at idle.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Encountered the same issues. AICV Valve issue.(Air Injection Control Valve) introduces air into the cylinders as it is accelerating, if the valve is starting to go bad it will introduce fresh air into the exhaust at an idle or de-acceleration. To check this simply remove the air filter top and you will notice a black molded nipple on the right side in side the air box. Start the engine let it warm up until it starts to backfire in the exhaust, then put your finger over the nipple in the air box, if the backfire stops check your secondary air supply system. When you rev the engine up the nipple should suck air however as soon as you let off the throttle it should stop sucking. If it keeps sucking then it is introducing fresh air into the exhaust which will cause an after-burn in your exhaust that sounds like a backfire. (This indicated a problem in your secondary air system) Good luck it took me several try's to figure this one out. If this doesn't work do a leak down test on all your cylinders, should be 3 to 5% max.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks to jwhitmire who I beleived may have solved my problem.
When I cover the nipple, the back fire ceases, and the bike even seems to idle smoother. The valve sucks air at all times so will probably need replacing, do the carbs have to come out for this?
Thanks Peter

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Does anybody know if I can plug this air system off?
The Honda mechanics in the big state of Tx. tell me they are not familiar with that old of a bike, in fact one thought I was talking pump for the air shocks.:D I donot go near california, so I'm not worried about emission standards.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Can i justb remove the air pump, or will I affect something else?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hey can somebody please help me with this air pump problem as i seem to have lost the rider who was helping me.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Yes they do. However you need to check one other controlling factor before you remove the carbs. I will send you an e-mail direct to you.
Jack,

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Great settled my imediate problem, now to ride and see if I can create more.
Thanks for all the help, especialy JWhitmire, great site keep up the great work.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Glad I could help you Peter. Ride Safe, and keep all the cold weather up north. You know how to get a hold of me if I can help you with any other issues.
Jack,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.