Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just purchased my first Goldwing. It is a 88 1500. It has a hesitation at low speeds

as I have read that a lot of them have. Is this a common problem ? I did read of a

"Low Speed Drivability Modification" Does anybody know what this mod is ? :?

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Search for "off idle hesitation"

I did mine a while back, well worth it.

BTW: Don't take any of the 'short-cuts' you might find (from aftermarket trigger wheels, to the idle air screws); take the carb.s OFF and do it right the first time.

Bill

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The Honda Service Bulletin for Low-speed drivability for '88 GL1500s is a good read and a place to start: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500 Service Bulletins/1500SB2.pdf

Even if your frame isn't marked (step 329 of the SB), you can easily inspect the Carb Control Unit (under right fairing pocket) for being the updated version (look for "MT2" in the center of the stamped part numbers).

Like Bill is saying though - you never really know whatyou have until you're into the carbs, so having a good look at cleanliness and jet sizes will mean a little digging - Always worth dropping a new accellerato pump in while things are out if you can't confirm solid operation beforehand.

Also, every clean carb deserves a NEW fuel filter -- Take a search around this forum and others for solutions on that -- lots of opinions, but a common dislike is the aftermarket EMGO filter, since they havebeen having integrity issues and can actually cause you to have to go back into your carbs to clean up their mess...

Welcome on here -- and good luck!

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks guys, I have a place to start now. I am sure I will be asking more questions.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I did a few of those updates (wow over 20 years ago now). If I remember it included new carb slide needles. The ones I did the hesitation was barely noticable to begin with, and the update was a marginal improvement. The downside is your gas milage will go down (even Honda admitted this). I got better results by richening the slow mixture screws to 3.5 turns out. I wouldn't waste your time with that particular update. Plus you have to pay for it now.

At this 'stage in the game', I would look more for cloggage in the carbs...and probably a vacuum leak or two.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with you dizzy, I think after all I have read is that is is either dirty carbs or vaccum lines cracked somewhere.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
Dirty/sticking slides are a common problem. Pull the air filter and check slide movement with a finger, a very small shot of carb cleaner spray followed by a short shot of WD40 then work them back and forth a little.
Re install filter, button her up and road test.
You may want to pull the whole air box and clean the carb decks etc. while in there.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Very common!! I Installed a trigger wheel and rebuilt my carbs a while back and she runs great now.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Replacing the jets with those from the 90-91 models years will fix the problem. Congrats on your new vintage wing. I've had my 88 for over 20 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.