Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i am looking at a 1988 1500 goldwing has not been run for two yrs the owner said it has a bad alternator the price is resonable 800.00 do you think that i might be getting into something that would not be worth fixing up
Thanks luke429

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

For that price you can afford to gamble. You could part it out for a lot more than that.:thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If you do the work its a great price. Will need gas emptied and clean tank inspect for rust, clean carbs. Todays gas starts going bad in a week. Ethenohol attracts water.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Where is Prosperity PA?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
imported post

I bought a $900 '90 model that didn't run a few months back. Being new to wingin', I found a mechanic I trusted and let him put it back together. According to KBB, it is still worth a good bit more than I have in it AND due to the work done on it, have a pretty good idea of its condition. I say go for it, have fun and good luck!

Jeffy1500 is right: you could part it out if need be.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Sounds good to me, where is it if you don't go for it ? Color ?

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

What a steal.

Why can I not come across deals like that.

Even if it was broke in half, sold as buyer be ware, no title, blown motor, it would still be worth it.

Unless it was a complete totalled roll over and set on fire with gasoline, it would still be worth it.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
imported post

Geez, the fairing pieces alone are worth that price, you can go wrong buying it for that price.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

hey run luke quicky over there and do the deal.It's way under valued and you could double your money easy on a flip with no work. But it would make a great bike for you.
wwilf

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

Can't go wrong for that price. It could get very expensive if you don't do a lot of the work yourself, however. But if you're motivated and aren't afraid to remove all the plastic parts, it is well worth the challenge. The biggest issue with the 88's is probably the carbs. Since the bike has been sitting for 2 years, its probably a good idea to swap them out for a good set of used carbs from the 90 or 91 model years (ebay is a god source for them). The 88-89 had a hesitation at idle problem that is fixed by using the jets from a the 90-91 model carbs. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Well i bought the bike i am going to work on the bike myself i may take jackfromct help and get a set of used carbs for it now the alternator does anyone know where i could get a used or rebuilt one
Thanks everyone for the info i will keep you posted on the progress.:thumbsup:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Congats on the purchase. I have a friend down near you. He might now of an alt. I'll pm you with his info.
I was through your area on my way to the 9/11 events at Shanksville. Nice roads for riding. I went down through on the US 40 from Washington to get off the slab. I stayed near Ohiopyle that night then up through Somerset.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

luke429

Good job on your purchase.

By the way, welcome to the greatest forum for goldwings.

As a new comer, don't be hesitant to ask any questions for help. This forum will assist you in anything. There is already a lot of information to search and FAQs. You will not find a better source.

Working on goldwings are pretty complex in that you just have to take off so much crap to get to what you want.Not bad, just a lot more stuff to remove and re-install. Actually, it is terrible and the 1500s are the worst, but it can be done. All of us 1500s guys here will not give up their old lady - well maybe for the 1800 babes, but many will stick with their first love.

Give us some stats later

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I bought an '88 for a grand, then put 2 more in it, and 35,000 miles on it so far. I replaced my carbs with '95 models (eBay), which I went through first. The slide/diaphragm assemblies are $90.00 each (Ron Ayers). '88-'90 carbs had issues from the factory, so if your going to replace them -it makes sense togo for thelater ones.

Mine alsotook a complete exhaust system,calipers, rotors, a fork overhaul, a new rear air shock (eBay), a CompuFire alternator and a lot of electrical work.

Good bike, tho. :)

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome luke429 , i bought my 88 two years ago , paid $4000.00 for it . Runs great.
See the posts re; getting a sitter to run and pay special attn. to the old fuel and carb. cleaning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.