Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just joined the forum and am looking forward to the membership.

Since it has been cold and I haven't ridden in a couple of weeks I found today that
there is no power to anything on the bike. I turn the ignition switch on and no lights, instrument panel or running. Nothing but a humming noise.

The battery minder is green and a meter shows 13.07 volts.

I have checked all fuses under both left and right covers and also the fuse link. All good.

Any suggestions as to where to look next?

·
Administrator
26,559 Posts
imported post

Check your battery connections and if OK maybe the ignition switch, give it a wiggle back and forth and it may make contact. The buzzing sound is probably a relay that can't quite get enough power to work.

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

ret my 88-g1500 did a similar thing, under seat look for narrow fuse block, next to rear fender, one bolt holds it. their is a relay connected to it. my bat. was low, and everything was dead, no dash lights. took out the relay, put charger on , then put relay back in. relay is for starter. bike started up and runs fine. rode it 75 miles the other day,48 degrees, i needed that fix.that fuse block has a dog bone fuse.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at both in the morning to see if that is where the problem lies.

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

The problem is cured. The basic problem was that I assumed since I paid to have the bike thoroughly checked when I bought it I assumed the work was done.
The battery was real low on water. Removed, filled, charged and reinstalled and everything checks out now.

Thanks for the above suggestions.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

GOOD INFO....I have a one year old gel...same symptoms...I'm taking the battery in for a test....The Battery Tender shows a full charge after about 10 seconds...It has never shown a full charge that quick in the past...Hope it's just the battery and bad maintenance...I guess I shouldn't leave it on the tender all the time...ride it on wekends only.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
imported post

Mine was a bad battery...showed good amperage...until tested under load...new battery, better quality, back on the road...now some good weather!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.