Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
cptech
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, longtime goldwing owner, rebuilding my carbs on 89 gl 1500. Manual says 1 1/2 turns for an 89 and 3 1/8 turns for an 88, mine was 3 turns when I removed it, bike had sat with a bad fuel pump for a cpl years, which the carbs got plugged from sitting, I had it running after installing the new fuel pump but the pilot jets were clogged so now I'm rebuilding, idle seemed good before removing but had a serious hesitation i.e clogged pilot jets. my question is would you guys put back at 3 turns like it was or go with the book and do the 1 1/2 turns, thanks for any help!

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
Mixture screw turn is not a set it and forget it, once the engine is running they get fine tuned. Install them at 1 3/4 maybe 2 turns which will probably put you closer to optimum than book 1 1/2. Who knows what someone did previously and why?

·
cptech
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I was assuming the 3 turns was good since PO rode it like that before the fuel pump went bad, but you never know, was just very surprised the difference in base settings from an 88 to an 89. Thanks.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
And for '90 back out to 2 turns with the 60 jet, 8mm float level for '88 then onto 7.5mm. They tweaked the carbs non-stop for the first 3 yrs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts