Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My problem is probably covered some where on this great site but I failed to find it. So I will introduce it to you now. My 89 Aspencade GL 1500 is making me loose my mind. I swapped engines, replacing the 89 with a 94. Little problem with the vacuum hoses but have straightened them out. My big problem is when I push the start button to start, nothing happens except the head light goes dim as it should, but the starter doesn't turn the engine. I can by pass the starter solenoid and go directly to the starter with a jump wire and the engine spins over but won't start. As best I can tell when this is done there is no spark at the plug wires. Have checked the kill switch in all positions, the reverse switch, kickstand switch, cruise switch, have replaced the battery and the start solenoid. I have tried the reverse lever in reverse and bike in neutral, and the start button won't turn starter. The pulse generater is plugged in it's plug. The 89 engine, would start with out a problem, but I had no 4th or 5th gear, so I replaced the engine. Please, will some one point me in the right direction on my problem. Thanks in advance for any help you nice people can give me.:praying:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Check the fuses, especially the 15 amp ignition/cruise fuse #11, and the ignition/cruise relay #6. These are the fuse and relay numbers for the 94 model, probably not the same number but should be the same function for your 89.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
If the 89 is similar to the 88 it had a 2 wire starter with both positive and ground studs.

Which starter did you use (number of studs) was on the original and what was it replaced with.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
... have replaced the battery and the start solenoid. ...
:? Which Start Relay did you replace? Did it have a 30A fuse on it (Relay A) or the "other one" (Relay B in the ground connection for the 2-terminal starter)?

How are the grounds? -- there should be two major grounding locations above the dipstick on the block - Ensure that you've got a good ground to the battery from the upper ground location (inner fairing needs to be off to see it).

Since the electircal system is an '89, do you hear & feel relay #8 Click as you turn your key to the ON position? (alternately you can just press in the "Cruise On" swithch to verify that you get the amber "CRUISE ON" indicator on the dash to light and stay lighted...)

Also, under the seat on your '89 is the Reverse Realy switch (just a relay, it's tucked under/behind the rear tank mount next to the right-side frame) this should CLICK (FEEL IT!) when you press the stat button (Key ON with a good neutral light)

Also, check the reverse witch (the 'stud-type' switch connection next to the oil dipstick) -- this should be connected well and have a good ground when the bike is NOT in reverse (it's open in reverse)

That'll give you a few things -- I'm trying to go with the transplant thoughts beyond the the 2-terminal starter stuff since that's already been posted (yeah, BIG +1 on that!)

Has this engine started normally since the transplant? (Im' assuming that we're working on transplant issues, right?)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1989 GL 1500 starting problem

Thanks for all the replies. Yes I am working with the transplant. I can feel all the relays , that are located on the left side of the bike, click when the
starter button is pushed. There is NO click at #A, or #B , when the button is pushed. There is power going to the # A solenoid, at the small wires, when the button is pushed. The starter I used is the one that came on the transplant engine(1994). I don't recall there being a ground stud on it.
There is a Ground wire on the left side of frame just be hind the alternator.
that I cut when I removed the old engine. That wire ran some where up to the left side fairing. It is still loose. Could this have something to do with the start problem? I feel that there is a wire loose some where that I have over looked. The old engine started fine, with NO issues, and other than that ground wire that I mention earlier, every thing is connected,( so far as I know). I WILL KEEP CHECKING AND KEEP EVRY ONE POSTED ON MY PROGRESS. Thanks a lot for all the replies. You are all nice folks, and I have found, are eager to help with our problems.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
The bike's harness (for '89) will use Starter Relay "B" to ground the starter (theres a full ground path through heavy cables).

On your '94 starter, the the starter is grounded through the engine chassis, and Starter Solenoid "B" is in series with the positive cables. I would recommend that you modify the starting system to address one or the other... (pesonally, I like keeping the starter for the bike's harness, but you could change the harness to match the engine's starter too).

One or the other will be vitally necessary for your reverse system to operate safely, and using the '89 starter (as I mentioned) has always been easier for me...

To kinda ignore the starting system differences for the moment, since you'r seeing 12V at the coil of Starter Relay A when you press the start button, you will really wanna feel the Reverse Relay Switch (relay) under the seat there on the right frame rail... that's gotta click when you hit the start button (in forward)... AND you REALLY REALLY wanna see that there's a good ground on the Reverse Switch (stud type) there by the dipstick when the bike is in "forward" mode.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Attachment 1 88-89 and 2 for 90 and up. Reverse relay switch located under seat right side attached to bracket on frame crossmember just behind fuel pump cover.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced the # A solenoid next to the battery. With a test light I checked the power at the 2 small wires on the solenoid,(#A) and with the key switch on, when I push the start button there is power at these 2 terminals, but engine won't spin over. And to answer the question some one had earlier, the engine has NOT ran since
it was installed in this bike. I have since run a ground wire from frame to engine. No help.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Well, there's your issue... only one of those wires should have power when you push the start swich, the other is grounded through the Reverse Switch Relay as controlled by the Reverse Switch on the engine case by the oil dipstick. (you're seeing voltage on both wires because the coil of Starter Relay A is in good condition)

Please verify that there's a good ground on the Reverse Switch (stud type) there by the dipstick when the bike is in "forward" mode. this stud type switch should have a single green wire (prolly a red or orange stripe, since it's a safety-switched ground). To start the bike, that wire must see ground (through the reverse switch sensing that the gearing is set to the "forward" operation mode...).

You'll also notice that the relay under the seat along the right frame rail is NOT clicking...

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
I replaced the # A solenoid next to the battery. With a test light I checked the power at the 2 small wires on the solenoid,(#A) and with the key switch on, when I push the start button there is power at these 2 terminals, but engine won't spin over. And to answer the question some one had earlier, the engine has NOT ran since
it was installed in this bike. I have since run a ground wire from frame to engine. No help.
You are still stuck on relay A, do you still have the two post starter from the old engine? The diagrams clearly show what the differences are and must be rewired if you ever want to have reverse work. This would be after a minor change in wiring for just the starter to work for starting.

Go back to the original 2 post starter and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
89 GL 1500 starter problem up date

I still have NOT found my problem. I checked the starter as SATAN suggested, and the starter on the transplant engine(1994) is the same as the starter on the 89 system. I've looked for the ground in the harness near the starter, thinking maybe I had NOT connected it. There was none to be found. So I ran a new wire from solenoid (relay) #B to rear of starter. I also have removed reverse switch from frame at reverse lever, all the plastics are removed from engine transplant, so this was an easy task. I cleaned the switch with electrical contact cleaner, worked the switch in and out several times. Reinstalled it, checked the lever to see that it was functioning properly. I do not have a neutral light, but the bike is in neutral. I don't believe the neutral light was working before I started
the transplant, but the 89 engine started just fine. I have tried holding the clutch lever in and the starter will not spin when pushing the start button. The head light goes out as it should. Ant more suggestions I could try??? Thanks to all.:praying:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
Anything on the reverse switch (stud-type switch threaded into the engine near the oil dipstick with a single wire attached) ?

(Hopefully, your side-stand is UP when you're trying to start using the clutch's starter safety switch)

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
GL 1500 starting problem

Yes, SATAN, the kickstand is up and clutch is depressed when trying to start. NO start. Have switched the reverse switch on side of engine near dipstick, removed the one from the 89 engine, tightened wire, still no start. My Brother tells me that the neutral light came on with the 89 engine, but I have NO NEUTRAL light now. Does this mean I have to remove the front of the engine????? Or is there a way to bypass this, just to see if engine is going to start?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello every one. I guess most are out riding, but I'm still searching for the starting problem on my 89 GL 1500. For the ones that have responded to my issue, I think you all very much. This is an up date so every one will know what I've tried so far. Have replaced ground wire on starter, have removed and cleaned reverse switch, have replaced reverse ground on side of engine near dipstick and tightened the wire, checked the 5-A fuse beside # A solenoid at battery. I DO NOT have a neutral light, and my Brother tells me that it was working with the old engine. Is there a way to bypass the neutral light until I can see if the engine will run. Then I can deal with tracing the light problem. Thanks to all for your help.:praying:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Up date on starting problem. I have found the problem and have corrected it. ( I'm almost ashamed to tell what it was that was wrong). Well here goes any way. I had not plugged up the shift indicator harness. DUH. It had gotten caught beneath the intake and top of engine. Thanks to every one that helped me on this, "pain in the neck", problem. Thanks again and happy riding.:claps:

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you have it sorted out now. Everyone has those uh-oh moments now and then.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.