Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,997 Posts
My '98 is giving me 33-34 just like my older '94 did.

I think most of it is the super tall windscreens and too much throttle.
but, I used to ride mine to work and back everyday in city traffic keeping up with the hotrods in stop 'n go traffic.

now I am retired and not so much in a hurry to go anywhere.
I have not made a long trip since I retired, so am waiting for the next big tank of fuel to be burned.... Little short jogs just don't give good readings.

·
Administrator
61,997 Posts
fishblock,

as far as I am concerned, what you are experiencing is normal for the way you ride and I used to ride.

I have a spreadsheet made up that documents 3,500 miles very thoroughly. It showed single tank fillups with lows of 27.5 mpg and a single tank high of 40 mpg. Gawd that one tank at 40 mpg was soooo slow I though I would die!!!! I just cannot ride that slow.

The overall average on that spreadsheet was 32.5 mpg and that was for a trip from Tampa, FL to PCB to Houston, to Corpus Cristi, to San Antonio, El Paso, Tuscon and Phoenix and then around the state in Arizona for a couple months.

Figures can lie, and liers can do a lot of figuring. But when it comes to documenting a GL1500 pushing a Tulsa Tall windscreen at 75 and 85 mph, you will NOT get even close to the 40 mpg figures some folks talk about.

40 MPG cannot be done at speeds of 70 mph or more consistently. A tailwind on one tank of fuel? yeah, but over 3,000 miles? no way....

IF you replace that windscreen with one that is 10 inches shorter, you will definitely notice an improvement in your MPG results.

EDIT: adding link for fuel spreadsheet

https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3BtSkhUTSttUUZDaDhUQw

Read the MPG column real close. I just saw that I had a single tank fillup with 45.83 mpg. wow! I really did break the bank there that one time. But, look at all of those other numbers...... When you document closely, you will find out what governs your MPG readings.

·
Administrator
61,997 Posts
Stu - I think I typically run between 2k+ and 3k+ rpm (unless under load). I rarely go over 65mph, anticipate stops and generally do all the things a cheap bustard would do.

Terry,

How you drive is conducive to better MPG. That is not 'normal riding' for most folks.

Most normal folks hit the highway and rarely ever get below 65 mph, I cruise at 75 mph all the time until I get to where I am going. Today is a case in point. I needed to get down to Owasso which is 18 miles from Oologah and on a road that is nearly straight and has a 70 mph speed limit. That means the traffic is running at 75 mph and so was I.

You just cannot achieve 40 mpg fuel economy at 75 mph, it is not going to happen.

my tach is indicating 3000-3800 rpm all through the whole trip. Not counting the taking off and getting up to speed, and the slowing down for turns and stops. This is what produces those 33 mpg normal fuel economy readings.

His bike is okay, nothing wrong with it. I am willing to bet you Terry, that you and he can trade your bikes and ride for a full day and each of you will get the same returned mpg that you normally do for yourselves.

It is all throttle control, pure and simple.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.