Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 Goldwing has had the carbs cleaned and rebuilt, fuel pump replaced and fuel filter. It will idle and rev great in neutral but as soon you put it in gear to drive it hesitates and bogs down. There is no power at all when trying to pass in 4th gear or OD. I have read many articles but cant seem to find anything that has fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
59,022 Posts
That unfortunately is a fairly common condition for 88 especially and the 89 to some extent.

and, it can also happen to any of the 1500s if there is the tiniest of pinhole leaks in the vacuum system anywhere.

I am moving your post to a separate thread where "You" will get personal attention. Tacking onto the bottom of an old thread will get you ignored if folks look and say, I have already helped "that guy". "That guy" is the one who starts a thread, and since you did not, you might get ignored.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I would start by running a vacuum test on the vacuum fuel shut off valve. Right ahead of gas cap. Should hold a good vacuum.
gumbyred

It's simpler to Bypass the shut off valve... If the problem disappears, then it's a fuel starvation issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had the same problem with my 1500! Did the filter thing, Vacuum thing, Carb rebuild thing. Long story short... When I changed the fuel filter it had collapsed (actually it was an emco it had dissolved) I didn't give it a thought until the "Hesitation" I tried everything to get rid of the hesitation. Checked my accelerator pump squirters they weren't giving a squirt of fuel! It turned out to be the accelerator pump transfer tube! It has a B.B. in it so fuel stays up by the squirters some of the junk from the old filter got up in there and wouldn't let the check BB move. Got a new one from Honda, problem solved. you can replace it externally without removing the carbs. or the linkage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.