Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just bough an 89 GL1500 The air compressor will run when I Press the increase and p.check the shock will not fill but it will drop Pressure I press the decrease when using the output the with a 12v compressor the shock holds air for a long time according to previous owner 5 to 6 months. Any suggestions as to what might be the issue.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

I am a little confused. Are you saying that if you fill the shock with an outboard compressor it will inflate and hold air? Not according the PO but from your own observations?

I think the 1500 is like the 1200 in that it has a "dryer" that if plugged will not allow air into the compressor so it can pump it. You could also have a leak in the lines feeding the shocks.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

When using the on board compressor, do you let it run a little bit. Not long but some. A minute or so?
My 88 works fine, but I think it takes a bit longer than an external 12v type.
Also I have seen the pressure seem to drop from like 50 to 48psi or such as it first starts to air up sometimes, but mine does air up fine.

I just figure the instructions say air up on center stand, so it's the pressure reading with no weight on the rear wheel. If the shock extends a little more as I start to air up then it may show less pressure for a moment.

I don't know how much or fast yours is showing losing pressure or how long you try to air it up, so don't know if same as mine. If your just showing a loss of 2-3psi and just giving it a short blast from the compressor, maybe try running it a little longer?
First time I aired mine I was like "What the Heck" also when it lost a little.

I read the pressure with bike on center stand when aired to max, then dropped bike to wheels and read again just holding her level, loaded as I normally ride. So now I don't worry so much about putting on center stand to check pressure either. I figure I know about the max pressure I should have sitting on both wheels now and just go by that to test or add air.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I am able to put air in the shock using a off bike compressor and it holds air can feel the shock rise up a bit it stays and the p. check show no loss of pressure and the bike is good it don't drop at all.

It will let air out of the shock if you hit the decrease button.

If you hold the increase button the compressor runs but no air it flowing threw the system. and yes I have let the compress run for 2 to 3 min.

hope this clears things up

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Hi Invidous,

Is the flexible pipe to the outlet in the saddlebag still connected? If it is, then the compressor will NOT increase the pressure in the shock. The flexy pipe (for blowing uptyres and the like) has to be disconnected before the increase button will actually put air in. Seems like just a(nother) Mother Honda quirk.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
imported post

One thing I'd check is whether or not you've got a foam filter on the intake side of the compressor. The one on the GL1200 will degrade over time and get into the compressor reed valves preventing them from sealing and building up any pressure.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

+ 1 on what Orcadian said. I had the same problem, turned out the valve on the end of the hose was not sealing, air was escaping when I ran the pump. Took the hose off and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

i vote o ring in the pump mine went bad and it wouldnt fill the air shock.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
imported post

I would check to be sure the inlet is open and clean. It could be stuck check valves in the compreessor or the ring does not seal to the cylinder of the compressor. I would try MMO in the inlet and run it for a minute or two to see if it starts to work before tearing it apart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.