Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi, have a 89 gl1500 thathas a flat spot right off of idle and then picks up fine.cleaned the carbs, removed stops on pilot mixture screws and set them and syncronized carbs also. pulled the plugs to ck and even with mostly idling they look lean..i have a manual but it doesn't explain much about the system only tests which i have done on a few valves butthought i would ask here due to the experience of members here.any chance there is a site or area that explains thesystem in detail with good trouble shooting? thanks in advance.............have a good week,joe

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site 55b33!:waving::waving:

You sure you're not an android or something?:goofygrin:Take a look at Steve's 'Buying a Goldwing 1500 page on the home page of this site. He has the recall information on the 88-89 hesitation problem that was supposed to be corrected on all early model 1500s.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

hi exavid, the bike is a 89 and has all the mods done to it. i ck'd several components and could not fine any problems...man these machines have a ton of vac lines and valves!! thought there may be a common problem associated with the symptoms i'm experiencing.i have..if you open the throttle slowly(as in first pulling away) it is flat and actually just hangs or falls and then rises over 2000rpm fine?? as i said any help would be appreciated.joe

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The things that first come to mind is the accelerator pump and the CV slides. If you put a bit of choke on does that make any difference? Also what is your idle set to?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Start looking for vacuum leaks.

But good point on using a little "enrichenment circuit" to see if it helps. That would point to a plugged low speed circuit in the carb,

If you don't feel like pulling the carbs for a rebuild, try Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner or a little "MMO". Use them sparingly.

As Exavid saidsometimes the vacuum pistons get hung up, you can check them visually by removing the air filter and running the bike.

On a 17 year old bike, with a full fairing and miles of vacuum hoses with repetative heat cycles, I know where I'd start.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

hi,the bike wouldn't run unless it was on choke so i figured it was plugged pilot jets or pilotcircuit so i removed the carbs andcleaned them good. once i put the bike back together it started and seemed to run fine....i thought, but it has a slight flat spot/ hesitation if you pull away slowly. if youaccelerate very slowly the revs go from about 800 to 1000 and then seem to drop and then itbuilds rpm quickly.. i've ck'd plugs,timing,syncronized carbs,fuel pump, filter,removed pilot mixture stops and adjusted screws(seems 2-2.5 turns is about the best and i do notice speed changes when i go in less than .5 turn or more than 4which indicates the circuit is closely jetted). checked as many valves and hoses as possible per the manualwith no help.one thing i did notice is if i cover the rh carb air jet (the taller brass tube on the inlet(top side) it idles higher and when i turn the idle down it try it it seems to pick up revsnicely?? i'm removingthemagain tomorrow to give em a closer look.i've worked on manydifferent type and brands but these are really unique(ie pain the arse)...i don't thinkit's a pilot fuel restriction but a excess of air oran air leak in the pilot circuit???? any schematics around of the system or explaination of the fuel system and the valves other than the ones in the clymers? anyhow thanks so much for everyones time and help, have a good day...joe

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
imported post

I just purchased a 89 1500 and I noticed that I had the same flat spot that you posted. It has not been causing me a problem, except when starting out. I did note that when I put the choke ona little it is fine. Have you found your problem yet. I am just starting in the process. I am in Aurora, CO at an elevation of about 5600 feet.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

Mine is an '88 and does the same. I have learned to just give it a toke of throttle before starting and all is good. I plan on a tear down real soon and I will go thru all my vaccuum lines and stuff just to make sure all is good.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

Mine is an '88 and does the same. I have learned to just give it a toke of throttle before starting and all is good. I plan on a tear down real soon and I will go thru all my vaccuum lines and stuff just to make sure all is good.

·
Senior Memory
613 Posts
imported post

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The TSB (as mentioned above) was to correct this very "flat spot" (jetting, springs, computer were all changed) for the '88 and '89 production runs. Of course all of the carb & driveability TSB mention the vacuum lines - inspect and reinspect ... ALWAYS

There was also a vacuum line re-routing for the '88 in an attempt to get at the same stuff.

My understanding (and experience as an '88 owner) is that the hesitation was never fully resolved - The 4-degree advance wheel helps to mask the power-drop off-idle.

Running the Nippon-Denso U-grooved sparkplugs (to help cover the mixture issues) seems to lessen the bog, and carb-balance is also a big part of it.

After running mine up on a gas analyzer, it looks like the slides aren't moving off-closed quickly enough (even after a full rebuild with new slides and diaphragms). Throttle opeing faster than the slide movement pushes the exhaust to go very rich which can lead to an even greater power sag.

The Nippon-Denso plugs, 4* advance wheel, good carb balance and a feel for how quickly the slides are reacting to throttle seems to address the issue "OK" for now...

.. VERY far from being fixed; and I feel ya on the altitude thing - keeping your idle on the higer side of spec will help present enough vacuum to the slide diaphragms (I'm at 5800'msl and have a place at 10,500' where things get a little more dicey)

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

Hi From NZ.

New fuel filter, K&N air filter. 4deg trigger wheel and a change to NGK iridium plugs cleared up all my issues.
At low temps if bike is garaged, no need for choke on startup unless bike has sat for several days.

Every couple of months i add 1 capfull of ATF fluid to a full tank of gas and once a year add 1/2 a bottle of good quality injector cleaner to a tankfull of gas.

I also changed over to an oddesy battery and noticed that this made a huge impact on cold starting.

Bike always starts and runs great.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I was told or read at another forum to drain fuel tank and mix up 1 gallon gas, half bottle of marvel mystery oil and half bottle techron put in tank and let idle for 30 minutes and let sit over night do it again for 30 minutes and play with choke a little (to get cleaner in circuits)and let sit again and do this 3-4 times or until fuel runs out and that shou,ld clean everything up nicely. than sync carbs adjust pilot screws and re-set idle. Tried this on my son's 454 ltd to fix choke problem and it seems to have put new life into choke system and starts easily now and idles 50% better.20 yearhonda mechanic told me to try this. Will try on my 89 1500 next week.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

I have a 90 and had the same problem. Turns out it was sticking slides. There was a little dirt in them from an overused air filter. Pull the filter and with the engine off move the slides with a finger all the way to the end of their travel. If you feel any grit or drag wash them down with some WD40 and work them till they run smooth.

I also found bad vacuum lines. Left side intake manifold, elbow was bad. And left side to the air temp sensor, underside of air box.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
imported post

found same elbow on 94 bad, also under carbs, under rubber mat, same thing. elbow broken on left side. dont forget to check those.

mark:waving:

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
imported post

Have the same problem with my 88...

Seems like I will need to tear into her this winter and check the things mentioned here... thanks for the advice everyone!
Although I wasnt the original poster, this helps greatly.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Just so you 80's vintage wing owners don't feel alone, my '96 has the same problem. Adding some choke doesn't cover it up unless I add a lot, revving near 2K RPMs. Summertime isn't a problem, but this time of year cold engine takeoffs can be a pain.

John

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

so has anyone on here tried the single carb angle on the 1500 as i'm in the process of getting one i may change my mind and stick with the harley it don't bog.:shock:

but i'm serious about going to the single carb angle if anyone has tried it. vw carb should be plenty it runs a 1600cc plenty good. just curious.:action:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.