Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

In Australia, (we drive on the left) whenever I parallel park (or near parallel) I'm never confident the side stand will touch down before the bike leans beyond the point of no return. I've realised from pics online, the Americans don't have this problem with the bike leaning up the slope of the camber towards the centre of the road.

Has anyone come up with a compromise solution that still works OK on a true flat level without leaning dangerously to the left down the camber when parked roadside?

(Suburban roads are often not wide enough to safely park perpendicular to the kerb.)

Enquiry is sparked by my 6yo grand-daughter telling us about a classmate's little brother going to heaven when his father's bike fell over on him.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

In Ireland we drive on the left and I've never worried about the bike leaning too far. Better than not leaning enough and then tipping over when someone leans on it.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mike, I assume they are aftermarket modificatopns?

Alan, I agree there's a critical length. Anyone designed a foot operated adjustable telescopic type extension? Maybe I could make my million there.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

They drive on the left in Japan too :?. So the point is ?

Why not just park on the other side of the road ? Or turn the bike round 180 degrees.

It would only be a problem in a one-way street.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

scons wrote:
Mike, I assume they are aftermarket modificatopns?

These are both home grown . They do come in handy though . The stockers are still on the left side .

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

we park at a angle to the road rather than parallel to it because over here it will not lean enough

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi Pat - I was thinking of one of those "hockey puck" pads - 1.5-2cm thick, but would still have to get it into the right spot with the left foot.

(Next problem - no ice hockey within thousands of km of my Tropic of Capricorn location - but it's got the brain clicking over. )

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
imported post

I thought I was never going to be able to right the bike but I rolled back on the angle to the kerb and then it was easier to right. The view is Lake TeAnau in Fiordland, New Zealand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

nice pic John, foreground as well as background. Yes, that is another point I left as understood - the further it leans, the more it has to be righted. We need a bit more of that road design to give us the space to angle park. It chokes me to admit it, but NZ roads can beat ours hands down

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Why does the entire world drive on the wrong side of the road? Reminds me of that movie "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" where everything was reversed.

I would get a decent sized piece of 2x6 or 2x8 and put it under the sidestand. Here in AZ, we have to put something under the stands if parked on asphalt, the sun makes the asphalt so hot it softens, and the stand will sink right into it, and down goes the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I carry a block of wood with me to put under the kickstand if it leans to much or if in grave, dirt, grass ,hot pavement.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Sound good wayne, simplest is best. Thinking of a piece of wood I can pop into the front pocket - perhaps attached to a coiled wire etc that I can attach so I can retrieve it easily if parked awkwardly. Houses are under construction around here, I'll snuffle through the skips tomorrow.

Re hot asphalt - when i lived out west 40C - 46C through summer, I never had a soft bitumen problem. I suppose construction could differ because we don't have low temp winters. Trying to park in wet blacksoil or dry bulldust however- now there's a million stories

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I just keep mine in saddle bag.. ya here in florida the black pavement gets so hot that your kickstand will go through it like butter. There was one time I thought id be smart and put it on the center stand.. NOT... came back out to my bike about hour later and my stand went all the way down till the back tire was on the ground. Took me and two other guys to push her out, wow did it tear up that pavement lol.. Just a little piece of playwood , 4x4 inch is what i use. I would at lease go half inch thick... Later I will put a picture of what my kickstand did in front of my house before I used the wood. Wood, its simple, easy to carry and cheap.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Or just drop the rear suspension pressure -- you should see more than 30mm of change there... 15+ of that will show at the stand ...

... to help the bike be a bit more upright.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I have no air shocks in the back.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I have no air shocks in the back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status