Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The speedometer cable started howling. Removed the cable inside the casing and of course it stopped.

Ordered new unit (casing and cable), removed actual cable from the new unit and inserted it into the existing casing still on the bike.

Did not work. We think the cable itself may be short, but I was wondering if the units are a matched set and you have to replace the whole thing in order for it to work.

Of course, replacing the entire unit means accessing the back of the speedometer and that is no small or quick chore!

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the length of the new inner against the old one?

They may have sent you the wrong cable or the cable on the bike was a replacement of the wrong length.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

if the old cable was only howling then you can just greese it and reinstall plus are you sure the new one is inserted fully into the speedo drive

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Most of the time you can "get" at the speedo's cable attachment by standing on the left side of the bike, facing rearward... with the inner tray (there at the forks) removed you can get your left hand up to the cable attachement point to loosen the finger-nut...

If you tie a length of string to the old jacket as you draw it out from the bike, you can use that string to pull the replacement cable upwards with proper routing and such.

that is, if you wind-up replacing the assy.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I recommend the whole assembly replacement. The inside of the shaft housing will have become worn and hogged out.

Pretty easy to do as described above.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

I've had the same problem, send it back and tell them it;s too short, they will send you another.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thank you for the great responses!
1) I will contact my dealer about a replacement. (Tuesday)
2) I will attempt the replacement as described above.

We did seat the new cable. Simply did nt engage at the speedometer end.

Before we ordered the replacement, we did remove, grease and reinstall. Lasted about 20 miles..

Unfortunately, in WAY too much haste, I threw the old cable away. So no way to check the length :(

Also, a previous owner had replaced the cable a few years ago. No idea about the mileage as the Owners Manual did not make it into my grubby little hands.

Brian Keatts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Satan:

By the left side of the bike, do you mean the clutch side?

blkeatts

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Yessir...
Left side would be as you ride (facing forward, I hope) -- Clutch lever would e in your left hand...

·
Wild Rhino - Canadian
591 Posts
imported post

Replacing the whole assembly is the only way to go; When I did mine, It took 10-15 minutes to get the new finger nut on the speedometer. It is a real bugger to get on there. I pulled the cable out of the bottom about 3 or 4 inches so that I could get the sheath on the speedo. Then pushed the cable back up the sheath to engage the speedo. Remember to hold your tongue just right and have some colorful words ready for use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.