Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've looked around on here at some of the posts for this problem, tried hooking the bar and unlatching it with no success. Recently had it apart to replace the lights on the side of the trunk, put it together again, took it around the block, and the trunk won't open. I can't get the seatback off to cut into the trunk, and most of the links in previous posts are disabled or deleted it seems. Anyone have any ideas? As it stands I'll be trying the same thing tomorrow, maybe even getting a thicker wire to try, but I'm at a loss for what to try next otherwise. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
By any chance did you lock it with the key

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Last time I had that problem I used a piece of wire coat hanger it is stiff and works.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I had the same issue and I can't remember what I used to get it open. I know if you follow the cable to it's end and pull the lever it hooks to it will open. Just duplicate the job the cable does.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Do the sides open with the key in unlock position,did yous try pressing down on it to open,mine won’t open with out pushing down.

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
I know its' too late now but if latching mechanism is not re-assembled correctly (release bar upside down?) they will not open. Always a good idea to test latch release before closing lid.

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do the sides open with the key in unlock position,did yous try pressing down on it to open,mine won’t open with out pushing down.
Side bags open fine, I've tried pushing down and up while trying the key, latch, and hanger

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its' too late now but if latching mechanism is not re-assembled correctly (release bar upside down?) they will not open. Always a good idea to test latch release before closing lid.
That sounds like it may be the likely case. I can't seem to get anything to work

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can put a coat hanger up from underneath and try and hood the lever and pull down on it
Thanks. This is the only link I could find to actually open. Haven't gotten it to work tho

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
All is not lost yet with the right tools. X long #2 phillips with at least 16" shank, maybe cheapo inspection camera with flexible head.
The two upper latches are held in place with phillips head screws two each side, they are tightly screwed in though.
Remove seat and just below bottom of backrest pad is a larger flat area on front of trunk.
Drill a 1/2" hole just under pad as far left as possible on that larger (protruding towards front) flat surface inboard of honeycomb plastic. Another hole in center to shine a light in or to see inside with light in other hole. 1/2" holes because finding a plug when done should be easier. Assuming trunk was not filled to top with stuff you should be able to get a visual in there along with a straight shot on screwdriver.
If it works, drill a hole on other side and repeat process.

·
Registered
2000 GL1500SE
1,378 Posts
All is not lost yet with the right tools. X long #2 phillips with at least 16" shank, maybe cheapo inspection camera with flexible head.
The two upper latches are held in place with phillips head screws two each side, they are tightly screwed in though.
Remove seat and just below bottom of backrest pad is a larger flat area on front of trunk.
Drill a 1/2" hole just under pad as far left as possible on that larger (protruding towards front) flat surface inboard of honeycomb plastic. Another hole in center to shine a light in or to see inside with light in other hole. 1/2" holes because finding a plug when done should be easier. Assuming trunk was not filled to top with stuff you should be able to get a visual in there along with a straight shot on screwdriver.
If it works, drill a hole on other side and repeat process.
I would not do that. Coat hanger method is a 5 minute job without giving any damage to the bike.

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would not do that. Coat hanger method is a 5 minute job without giving any damage to the bike.
Well, I've been trying the coat hanger trick, haven't gotten it to work yet, so I'm starting to lean towards the more dramatic approach, if you want to call it that

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
The OP thinks it might have been assembled incorrectly and if it was you can work that hangar till the end of time and it still aint gonna open. :unsure::)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Did you try turning the key to the left (counterclockwise), past the Lock position? If you lock the trunk, then press down on the lid to relieve tension and rotate the key another 45 degrees or so to the left, it might open. Works on my '94A.

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you try turning the key to the left (counterclockwise), past the Lock position? If you lock the trunk, then press down on the lid to relieve tension and rotate the key another 45 degrees or so to the left, it might open. Works on my '94A.
I've tried, it turns slightly but not enough to let go

·
Registered
89 GL1500
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update, did it the harder way and cut thru the trunk. The bar was fairly tight to pop open even after I got it apart again. Just cut thru, unscrewed the hatch bars on the lid, popped it open and tore everything apart again. Got some new guts for it since some of the springs were worn and stretched and it seems to be working like a champ now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts