Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

need help just recently bought this bike so dont know a lot about it anyway was riding it at night the lights flashed on and off then the bike died and couldnt restart it. long push home.got home and charged the battery and made sure tha batery was full the bike started right up ran good then died ten minutes later any help would be appreciated

thanks
Shane

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Shane. Did you check if the alternator was charging while the engine was running? That would be the first thing to do.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Definitely check the voltage between the battery terminals with the bike running, you should get very close to 14 volts with the engine at around 3000 rpm. Could be a bad battery. Many batteries will take a "surface charge", and seem ok, but go dead real quick. I did not know the charging system was an issue on the 1500, though stator failure can happen on any bike. I would also suggest a loose connection somewhere.

If your bike is an '89, then it is 22 years old. Before riding it I would do a lot of reading about it, then do ALL the maintenance, while at the same time give it a good looking over. It'd time consuming, but I would go ahead and pull most of the plastic off, you never know what you may find under there.

You pushed a 1500? How far? I MIGHT manage a 1/4 mile before I collapsed from overexertion.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

lol i will check everything i can i have to get an owners manual to locate all the parts and where they are and to answer you question 8blocks up hill i couldnt feel my legs and lets just say breakfast wasnt as good the second time:ROFL::sick: thanks for all the advise i will be back for more and i will never push this bike again no way

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

The 1500 has an exteranally mounted alternator like an automobile . If its the original its quite possible it needs new brushes or more . The Alt. is located on the left side of the engine . Remove the LH side cover below the seat . Then remove the LH cover just above the operator footpeg ( forward of the LH side cover). The Alt. is held to the engine by 3 bolts . Its a tight fit but it can be removed . First disconnect the battery . There should be one wire held on by a nut and also a plug in wire connection if my memory is correct . If you decide its bad and plan to do work on it , I would recommend to also replace the drive cushion rubbers .

link to drive cushions:Cyclemax, The place to get discount aftermarket Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories!! - 1500 Alternator Dampener Kit

link to brushes:Cyclemax, The place to get discount aftermarket Honda Goldwing Parts and Accessories!! - 1500 Alternator Brush Set

Factory Service Manuals here:Helm Incorporated: Product Search Engine

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Mine did that a number of times a couple years ago. It was the battery.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Also might wanna check the battery connections too and make sure they are clean before you do too much...

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

You might want to check & see if the bank angle sensor has been replaced. This is a problem with early GW's. Honda has an open recall on replacement with no cost to you. Take your vin number to any Honda dealer & they can run it thru their computer files to see if yours has been replaced....

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thank-you very much this is very helpful information that i didn't know
thanks again now i know where too look

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome snw., cool pic.
Now its time to deal with a bike with almost one hundred thousand miles on the clock.?
Check the alt. for output .
Check the main " dogbone " fuse for cracks.
See us for help.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

SNW89--

Welcome. If you can access the questions that I have posted, maybe it will help. I've got an '88 GL1500, and the same thing you are describing happened to me. Lights went out, Instrument cluster flashed, and motor died. Long story short......Charged battery....same thing happened. Bought new battery, eventually same thing.

Ended up being Alternator.....taken out twice, and think I have finallygotten it fixed. Recommended (from this site) to buy me a Clymer's, and I did. Greatest thing since sliced bread.

Still skeptical, but ordered a SmartTraveler from Rudys. Hasn't come in yet, but gonna mount it.

Trust me, these folks on this site will take you by the hand & get you going again. Above all, they have a whole lot of patience. I'm stupid when it comes to the mechanical part of it. Again, these people are the greatest. They will get you back motivating, and they will be happy to do so.

Stay Safe, and my best to you----

dotman5614

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.