Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have an 89 goldwing se can I put a newer engine in it and if so what all needs modified or changed ?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Welcome aboard a great forum. I can't help you with that question, but there will be another member along soon. Can you let us know what area you are from, as there is probaly a member a few blocks from you that might be able to help you. :)

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

How much newer? I put a 2000 in a 90, which is almost identical to the 89. The big differences would be in the air solenoid circuit(s). And, a cpl little minor hurdles if you happen upon a 50 state engine, and put it into a 49 state bike. Or, vice-versa.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Your 89 is not a SE. Yes, yours is loaded to the max which was standard for that year. Later, SEs did have a few extra goodies added.

...I put a 2000 in a 90, which is almost identical to the 89. The big differences would be in the air solenoid circuit(s)....
Yes, I believe the change went from three to two solenoids. But, that would only be if the engine would come with the carb, and one chose to use it.

If and when you locate a newer engine, chances are the engine may not come with a carb, starter, or alternator. What ever you do, clean and rebuild the carb before putting the engine back in the bike.

Your 89 engine has reverse. Do not get an Interstate because they do not have reverse!!!! And, they can not be converted.

What is wrong with your engine?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have a lot of gear noise in all gears under load and about 2 to 4 thousand rpm.

I was told that some of the 89 modles had that problem and just this last year it seemed to get louder.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Maybe your ears are just getting more sensitive. Go to a Cat, Cummins or Deere dealer and get an oil sample kit. I would almost bet it'll be good. An alternative is to cut the oil filter apart, let the paper completely drain for a few days, and stretch it out in the sunlight. You can usually see any metal there might be. My friends 89 is quite noisy, and my 06 is quite noisy. I wear ear plugs, and it doesn't bother me too much. I even hate tire and wind noise.

I have pretty severe ear damage, from an idiot I worked with years ago, and I should have sued over the incident 20 yrs ago, but I didn't realize at the time how bad it was going to get, and the company is gone, now.

To edit profile, just find your profile link called "My Account" and edit away. There's a few tabs to click on, so check them all, especially the profile tab.

Oh, I like your First name. :cool:

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Robert, in case you missed it, Bob has a nice '90 engine for sale. See the bottom of his messages. Shipping from Oregon might cost a few though.

:action:

·
Ignoramus Primus
303 Posts
imported post

Robert,

To add information to your profile, go to the main Forum Page ( http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/).

Over on the right Menu click My Account

You'll see several Tabs, one of which is "Profile". Add your info there.

The Preferences Tab is useful and the Avatar Tab can be fun to add a picture.

The more you use this Forum the better is gets!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.