Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a wrecked 89 wing that I bought as parts for my wing with a perfect running engine and some good plastics , but i found a beautiful 98 wing that has a blown motor. The timing belt broke and destroyed the engine. I can buy the 98 wing for little money but was wondering if the 89 motor will fit in it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,203 Posts
imported post

From what I have heard, it should. I think the only real major changes were inside the tranny.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... bet on it. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Yes, the 89 motor will work. The main difference in motor was the weaker 4th gear something and rocker arm bearing. The carbs are a little different, so you may want to swap them.

Are you sure the 98 motor is trashed? And,how bad.

When I bought mybike, it was a gamble. I knew it had a hole in the piston and a couple of bad valves. I was mainly concerned about the engine block, but luckily it was OK. A complete engine gasket set (~$300) came with the bike, and I had another $100 in parts (1 piston, rings, 2 valves)and $50 head work.

If I were to buy a 98, I would much rather keepthe 98 motor if possible since there is something abouthaving a 20 year motorvs 10.

Either way, you will have a whole lot of work.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Boy - that's great - I don't mind the work - I already have a working 89 that I can ride until this one is done. It is just this 98 in such great shape I can't pass it up.

I don't know - I am hoping to get into the motor and see - It might just be a cylinder head and I can do that work.

Thanks for the help. Really appreciated

Joe

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.