Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got a '90 GL1500 with 132K miles on it. This past weekend, headed back to Houston from San Antonio area, stopped for fuel after about 130 mile run. After filling the tank, I cranked the bike backup and pulled up in front of the store to get out of the gas lines and go in and get rid of some of the morning coffee. When I came out and tried to get back on the road, the bike just cranked and cranked, but wouldn't start. Made sure that the kick-stand was up - it was. Made sure the kill switch was in the ON position - it was. Cycled all of the switches - keys to off and then on again. Kill switch to off and then on again. Crank, Crank, Crank, Crank - nothing. Would NOT start.

Then I get a whiff of gas. Remembering what a friend who is a knowledgable Winger had told me, I opened the gas cover to see if the diaphram had blown/ruptured. No leaking gas - so I wasn't sure what the problem was.

Decided to go inside and have some lunch and let the bike cool completely before giving it another try. When I came back after 45 minutes, it cranked right up. Off I went headed for home (still 150 miles away). It cut out on me twice when I decelerated for stop signs within the first 3 miles. But itfired back up immediately and I kept going. Stopped to fill up again after 120 miles - but kept the engine running. Never gave me another bit of trouble on the trip home.

Yesterday, I got on and took off for work. Stopped after 5 miles at Krogers for something for lunch. When I came out - same problem as the weekend. It cranks but won't start. Called a co-worker for a ride to work and told the Krogers folks not to tow it. Came back after work hoping it would start - and run long enough to get it to the house. No such luck. It cranks and cranks, but won't fire/run. Had to trailer it home.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter (only 4 months old) just out of principle - hoping I just got a bad batch of gas. But I doubt it - major travel stop from a major fuel brand that I've used hundreds of times and never had any problems. I'm torn between it being a fuel problem (I'm still getting gas fumes like it's flooded) and being an electrical problem (like a kill switch or EICMgoing out).

Suggestions? Prior experiences with similar/same circumstances? Suggestions on how to test/eliminate potential causes?

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

It sounds like perhaps the pulse generators might be a culprit. As always, start with the easiest and cheapest and work towards the more difficult and more expensive. More will be along soon with MORE insight. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
imported post

I think I would start by pulling a plug and laying it on the top of the valve cover and crank and see if you have spark... If you do, then you know it's a fuel issue...

If no spark, the pulse generators might be a good place to start...

Les

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
imported post

We need to know if you are getting sparks at the plugs before we can properly advise you. Do as Les says and get back to us with information on spark or no spark at the plugs.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Attach a volt meter to your battery. It should read 12.8v, or better. Start the bike and see what your voltage at the battery is, when idiling and at 2,000 RPM.

Then report back here in this threadwith your findings. (sounds to me like your alternator is on it's way out)

Dusty

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

Welcome, my 88 1500 does the same thing but only if it gets wet. Cranks like it is not getting fire. I have started carrying a can of starting fluid with me. Next time this happens squirt some SF in the gas tank compartment and if it doesn't start you know you are not getting fire or you can chase the electrical problem. Good luck.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Yes Welcome TXAggie87
You can use the Napa 3003 gas filter @ $5, or Honda-stealer for $25, don't buy an Emgo, they have been falling apart inside-glue separation, paper element disintegration and particles clogging carbs.
Have you gotten anywhere with it yet, spark?
Also test the output of the fuel pump and also the vacuum fuel shutoff just above the gas cap.
Let us know what you find. Do you have a repair manual for the 1500?
God Bless

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

It could be a dirty kill switch. Take halves apart and spray with electical contact cleaner. Keeping over spray off of paint. You would have to run a vacuum test on the vacuum fuel shut off valve to be sure if the diaghpram is bad or not. Has bike ever acted like its starved for gas while it is running? Fuel pump good? Maybe new spark plugs and air filter could help. Lots of things come to mind.
gumbyred

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Wow! You guys are awesome! I wasn't expecting this many replies so quickly. I have not had an opportunity to do the spark plug test . . . hopefully this evening. CromagJeff - it definitely wasn't wet. It had rained 2 days before, but the bike was garaged and under a cover. NewDay777 - thanks for the link on the filters. I'll get back to ya'll on what I find out about the spark plug test. Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

Just a heads up from another Houstonian....I don't know what area you live in but on Clay Road there is a independent shop ran by a guy by the name of Ken...Ken was the service manager for the Honda dealership my wife worked for...His mechanics and him believe in great customer service and doing the job right....His prices are reasonable and he's not one to "break it off in you" as in doing unnecessary work just to inflate his bill....If you take beltway 8 in either direction, exit Clay road, go East, cross Gessner road, about two to three miles past Gessner Ken is on the left...Small little shop, if you get to Campbell road you have gone too far East....

Ken and is guys do not work on Harleys but the rest they do....He was a Vento motorcycle dealer till the EPA killed Vento in the states..Give him a call or just take it in, they will treat you fairly....Tell him Claude sent you....

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Rudy - appreciate the lead on Ken and his shop. I may end up going that route - but trying to avoid spending the money. Gotta survive on a teacher's salary :)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Attach a volt meter to your battery. It should read 12.8v, or better. Start the bike and see what your voltage at the battery is, when idiling and at 2,000 RPM.

Then report back here in this threadwith your findings. (sounds to me like your alternator is on it's way out)

Dusty
:readit: ^ ^ ^ ^ :?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hey everyone - sorry for the extreme delay. The last week and a half has been putting out one fire after another. Had a family emergency along with a coworker having a car wreck and having to help teach his classes while he is in the hospital - it's been nuts. I finally gave up trying to find the time to work on the bike myself. A GWRRA friend suggested a mechanic that he uses - my regular guy couldn't get to the bike for 2 weeks. I printed all of this and took it with me when I took the bike to him - he seemed thankful for the input. Turned out be very simple - Kill Switch had gone bad. Bypassed it with a jumper wire for now to get back on the road. In February I'll be changing coolant and all the oils - I'll replace the switch then. Thanks to everyone for all your imput.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Glad you found it and let us know the outcome, and that you are back on the road with it. :claps:
You might be able to clean the switch as there are posts on that being a problem and they pulled them apart and cleaned the switch.
Have a Merry Christmas.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

I will say I have seen quite a lot of posts where the Kill switch goes bad. Or where many of the switches on the 1500 go bad. One of the things I have learned is the switches on the 1500 are not sealed switches so dust and dirt does get in them I ended up cleaning out the turn signal switch for a simular problem. If your going to clean it put it in one of those gallon freezer bags before you take it apart that way any springs end up in the bag not the floor. There are several old threads here that explain in great detail how to do it correctly. One of the things I recommend is if you are going to take it apart go ahead and spray cleaner inside the other switches while you are at it. it just might save you serious headaches at a later date....

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

your not going to beleive this but i was gonna say rotten kill switch...i wish people would slow down and give us a chance to play!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.