Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looking for guru-istic opinions!

Just has this start recently, became really noticeable this morning when it was cold. Started it up and as it was smoothing out I heard a rattle.... I say gear rattle because between 1500 & 2000rpm it sounded like a bearing went out on an idler gear and it was jumping around inside the engine. The noise is eminating from around the rear of the left cylinder head/shifter area.

Once idled down to normal it is as quiet as it should be. It still runs good and smooth, shifts normally and rides out nice. But the noise persists and I can hear it a little when running easy.

I'm hoping this description will make one of the many 1500 Gurus go "Yep, that is the ?????, it's fairly common and is an easy fix"..... but I also fear the worst.

I'll try to get a audio/video up if that would help.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

At your mileage I would first check alternator bearings and alternator drive dampers.

JD

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

DriverRider wrote:
At your mileage I would first check alternator bearings and alternator drive dampers.

JD
They should be soft and pliable with the center connectors soft and connected. If they haven't been replaced in the past year, get new ones. @ $4 ea.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

The Alt Dampers? really? I was wondering about that. Could they make the noise I'm referring to? Quiet to start and then sudden failure?

I just replaced the Alt about a month ago but did not do the dampers. They looked good and still "seemed" pliable so I kept the old ones in (because I wanted to get back out and ride!). If that's a good bet, then I'll be on that like white on rice!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Hopefully it's something simple like those dampeners.

Just for a test, park the bike with front wheel uphill and see if the noise goes away, then park with front wheel down hill and see if it makes the noise again.
If it makes the noise pointed downhill only then it could be the 4th gear issue starting to appear if yours is from those years that had the issue.

Also does it ever make the noise in 4th or 5th, if not but it does make noise in neutral 1st 2nd 3rd then it is likely the 4th gear issue.
It will not make noise in 4th or 5th if it is the gear issue.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Uphill/downhill..... How much of an angle?

Also, would the 4th gear issue be quiet at idle and only be loud at the previously mentioned rpm?

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
imported post

If i had a rattle that started within thirty days of changing out the alternator, I sure would be in that area first.

JD

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

I just did an uphill/downhill check. Still silent at idle so I bumped up the idle with the choke to 1500rpm and the "rattle" was there both ways.

Now I did notice that there was significant noise when first taking off, a little more grindy than rattle.

I'll pull the Alternator and check the dampers very closely.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well that's a good sign I think if rattled both up hill down hill, facing up hill makes the Cog slide backwards so should not have rattled if a 4th gear issue. Since it did rattle that's probably not the problem.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

I pulled the Alt today, the damper rubbers were a little hard and 1 had the little connector broken off. So I ordered up a new set and they should be here hopefully Saturday (Maybe earlier!). Once I get it back together I'll give it a try and see if I still got the rattle.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I have installed the dampers with broken connectors with no problems or noise.While the alt is out,I would tape the hot wire to the alt up take the dampers out and start the bike just long enough to see if the noise is gone.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
imported post

OK, I replaced the Alternator Damper pads. Noise is still there :sadguy:

Here's a link to a video I took of it running after I installed the new Dampers.

It's hosted On Microsofts Skydrive, so I hope it works.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=7CDDA4F29D791214!130&authkey=!ACmgZqk5ZBE0X2k

Any thoughts?

The more I listen to it, the more it sounds like it's coming from that head somewhere.

·
1,819 Posts
imported post

It sounds like the "4 gear rattle" to me.
Place the bike on a steep ramp , first with the frontwheel up and afterwards with frontwheel down , - when engine sounds different on these two tests , it is for sure the fourth gear problem !

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I did not watch the video yet. Just sits there doing nothing but says "Loading 0% " forever so gave up.

Another thing you can do is when it is rattling sitting shift through the gears and see if it goes away when you go into 4th or 5th.
If the 4th gear issue starting to happen it should not rattle in 4th (since your 4th still works) or 5th ever.
If it does rattle still when in 5th then it is not the 4th gear issue.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I've done some testing, Uphill/Downhill... heard noise. Put it up on the center stand and ran thru the gears up to 4th and 5th at about 1700 to 1800RPM and still heard some rattle so I tapped the brake for a few seconds to provide some load resistance bringing it down to about 1600RPM. Still heard some rattle.

Bottom line for me is, 4th gear rattle or not my option will be to tear it down and fix it, find a new motor and put it in, or sell it and find another. With my resources and finances the latter will probably be the choice. I hate saying that, but it is what it is.

What should could I expect to get out of a decent Goldwing with a motor rattle? Trade or outright sale?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You could pm Chromo to get what he paid for his 95 w/4th gear gone,w/ 32,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.