Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just installed a new 90 ampaltnator on a 200 gl1500 se to handle all the extra lights that I put on it. i took a long ride on it and it did just fine but then I was comng home the other day and I blew my main fuse and almost all of the bulbs in the lighting system but the wires arent cooked

is this a direct cause of the higher amp altnator or poor wiring job

HELP me please

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You won't know until you take measurements with a portable voltmeter while the bike is running.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
imported post

With a CF, the instructions say to install another 55amp dogbone fuse (with spacers) to the Main Fuse holder. So now you actually have 110amp fuse. If you have not done this when you installed the alt., do it now.

I would also run the extralights on anseperate fuse block that has a 30amp relay to power it when the key is on.This will make diagnosing problems easier.

Rudy has great instructions on how to do this.See the GoldwingTech link in either his or my signature.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
imported post

Really doesn't give you 110 amp fuse, Electrical circuits voltage remain the same thought out, but amperage splitsthe circuitdepending on the loads, having the two fuses side byside splits the current, basically 45 across eash fuse.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

Blowing bulbs is a sign that the regulator is shot. Start the engine and connect a meter to the battery terminals and if it reads well over 15 volts (I've seen 17 volts on an old Suzuki that kept frying headlight bulbs) then the reg is out. I'm guessing the reg is built-into your 90 amp alternator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.