Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
1990 GL 1500 Trike (trike conversion 2006, colour is burgundy, MOT officially says red)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the New Member greetings! 馃槂 Have been busy with getting to know the Wing and enjoying some rides!

I am very interested in learning how to track down a nagging issue. :unsure: On initial starting in 1st gear, the throttle response seems to jump to pull away from a stop. In lower gears 2 thru 4 when holding a steady throttle, my wing tends to surge and to avoid this I must throttle back or increase a bit to even out the engine. This happens mostly below 2000 rpm. At cruising speed above 2000 and in cruise control, the engine runs much smoother and is very responsive.
So far searching thru a 1993 Service Manual, the trouble shooting seems to point to a vacuum loss somewhere and there are a lot of hoses to check. :rolleyes: Personally I wonder if this could be carb related as it feels like a fuel surge when holding the throttle steady. Since this a 90 Wing I have no idea when or if the carbs may have been serviced. Servicing the carbs will be a time consuming remedy. Could this be valves requiring adjusting? :unsure:
I have read a couple of posts on here that suggest it could be loss of vacuum or carb related. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

wil in Ontario

Premium Member
2005 GL1800
There are indeed alot of vacuum hoses. And a vacuum leak is a likely cause of your symptoms. You could try seafoam therapy or fiddling with idle speed settings, but after the riding season is over you may want to plan on replacing vacuum hoses. If you're gonna pull them to check them you may as well replace them.

Registered
Plus one on vacuum hoses. Also that engine has hydraulic valve adjusters so that's one job you never need to do. If you don't know the history, you should change the timing belts.

Registered
1990 GL 1500 Trike (trike conversion 2006, colour is burgundy, MOT officially says red)
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Since a vacuum leak seems to be the most consistent issue, will plan to change hoses off season. Meanwhile will leave valves alone and will check out the timing belts as well as the ignition components, wires and plugs in particular.
Have also discovered different fuel recommendations with some folks saying emphatically that their owners manual indicates gas with octane level 86 or higher while the Owners Manual I downloaded for a 1990 GL 1500 states 91 or higher. This is the difference between regular fuel and premium. When I first got my 90, I used regular at 87 octane and have used premium at 91 - hard to notice any significant difference in operation. Have added Seafoam concentrate and will run a couple of fill ups to see if anything improves.

Sure appreciate the feedback on this forum - great to hear the experiences of others who enjoy "riding the Wings"!
Thanks!

Registered
87 octane is preferred for these engines. Some of the manuals list Research Octane others AKI depending on the country standard. 91 RON is about equal to 87 AKI In the US octane at the pump is the Anti Knock Index average R+M/2
Typically you will notice a drop in mileage if running premium as these engines are not designed for it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Again, thanks for the good feedback - no need to burn premium, just burning $$.

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
I rarely ever used 1st gear, the bike tends to lurch too much.

I use 2nd gear and a bit more throttle, much more control at slow speeds.
3rd gear will exceed 100 mph before you hit redline.

the flat six is made for torque, not rpm

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're the second to suggest using 2nd to start - will give it a go. Thanks!

Otherwise, believe I have located a vacuum leak causing the rest of poor performance at low speed. On the left bank between cylinder 2 and 4 a hose is attached just above the #4 plug. It come out and turns 180 degrees to connect to the port - right at the bend as it attaches to the port the appeared to be small hole due to aging. A McGiver fix - used black electrical tape to seal the hole - now the engine is much smoother at idle and through lower rpms. Time will tell if I need to go further with replacing this hose (and perhaps others).

Have found that Gorilla glue does a great job of repairing broken/cracked plastic fittings on various body panels.

Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Beware of the "new" Gorilla Glue, it comes in WHITE of all things, and I have a Royal Mucked Job on my sister's motor-home,
if I can't stain it tan, like it should have been, I am going to be blessed out from here to Sunday....

The shoddy piece of wood trim around the dashboard's center console, came loose.
Too many people loosing their balance and grabbing for something to hold on to....
yup, I broke it off last week, looked for tools here at their home, nope!

so I went to HF and bought a clamp, and some Gorilla Glue in a small "pen" shaped bottle....
White? never even noticed, HF only had one bottle in that small size, take it or leave it.

I am not a happy camper right now.

Drum Wood Musical instrument Floor Flooring

Note down in the lower left corner of the pix, the Trim is loose there also.
I can't mess with it until the 1st job is done, or moving the clamp will cause a lot of problems.

Gorilla Glue specifically says it is NOT a filler....
oh, I messed up twice, you are supposed to dampen the Surfaces before you apply the glue???
ah crap, too f'n late now.

Registered
Thanks for all the New Member greetings! 馃槂 Have been busy with getting to know the Wing and enjoying some rides!

I am very interested in learning how to track down a nagging issue. :unsure: On initial starting in 1st gear, the throttle response seems to jump to pull away from a stop. In lower gears 2 thru 4 when holding a steady throttle, my wing tends to surge and to avoid this I must throttle back or increase a bit to even out the engine. This happens mostly below 2000 rpm. At cruising speed above 2000 and in cruise control, the engine runs much smoother and is very responsive.
So far searching thru a 1993 Service Manual, the trouble shooting seems to point to a vacuum loss somewhere and there are a lot of hoses to check. :rolleyes: Personally I wonder if this could be carb related as it feels like a fuel surge when holding the throttle steady. Since this a 90 Wing I have no idea when or if the carbs may have been serviced. Servicing the carbs will be a time consuming remedy. Could this be valves requiring adjusting? :unsure:
I have read a couple of posts on here that suggest it could be loss of vacuum or carb related. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

wil in Ontario
Look for the 'toothpick fix'. Most likely your motor is running too lean (to meet emissons) on the very low end of the carb. By plugging two ports with toothpicks, it will fix your problem. To get at the ports, remove the air filter cover so you will have access to the side of the carbs that meet up with the air filter.

The free easy fix will have a dramatic effect on your off idle response leaving traffic lights.

If you don't like the results, its easy to remove so there is definitely no hurt in trying.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After all the searching and replies, the solution to the issue came down to a faulty plug wire - #5 was running cool, weak spark while #6 ran hot. Replaced all the wires, after digging behind the panels, removing the rad fans, draining the coolant and partially removing the left rad, I was able to access all the plug connections to the coils. Now the 90 runs like a "Wing"!

One note: the left side rad fan is relatively easy to remove, significantly harder to re-install. Find just the right angle is critical to inserting the rad in place.

Thank you for all the replies - it is clear there are many folks with older Wings who have encountered issues and are willing to pass along the knowledge.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts