1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ooooo Kaaaaa...

Here is one for you 1500 guru's...

I am unfortunately replacing my engine in my 91 Aspencade. For the 1000 km that I have owned it, there has been a rattle in the exhaust somewhere. Common logic with a little experience tells us that the most likely cause is the collector box.

It has been driving me batty. I could not 100% pin it to the collector but "logic" says that's where it should be coming from. It always seemed to be on one side. When the bike gets to running temp it is almost gone and after a few more minutes is gone (98% of the time).

Let's all raise our hands to show who has heard of this problem.

O.K.... Muffles off - no rattle in them puppies. Collector box off... quiet as a mouse - I could not believe it... remove the right header... quiet as the church that that mouse lives in. Then I remove the left header. Clang clang clang!!

It would seem that there is a bracket of some type in the part that the 3 individual pipes come together.

My question, just for the sake of knowing, is what that bracket is for? Why would something like that even be in there???

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Here is a picture inside this part showing the bracket.

Tim.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Donno! Good question.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

Would it be a power restrictor? I remember reading about some Goldwings having the power restricted with metal welded inside the downpipes.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey Ben...

Great idea. I never thought of that!

I am not sure of how much they would restrict though. The picture does not show alot of what the inside looks like. It does not look like a restrictor.

It could be... your's is the best guess yet! :?

Tim

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

Not sure why it would be in the header collector. Can you get it out? A combination of a poor weld and a backfire at one point probably blew it loose.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have not tried to get it out.

I think it is too long to get it arond the corner. I will try to do that though. It I can't do that easily with a little force, I may keep it in place and have someone with a stick welder tack a quick weld to that visable part. That hopefully would stop the rattle.

Just a thought.

Tim.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Tim
Did you try really long needle nose pliers? Maybe heat it with a torch and bend it as you twist it out?

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
Tim
Did you try really long needle nose pliers? Maybe heat it with a torch and bend it as you twist it out?
Either that or a sawz all with a long blade to chop it in half.

JD

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Had the exact same problem, sounded like something was terrible wrong in the engine. Stublede on this thread and gave the spot where the three pipes are jointed a gentle beating with a hammer while the engine was running, that curered the noise.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Someone with a MIG welder could fix that, forever, in about 3 seconds. Unfortunately, you're on the right coast, and I'm as far as you can go on the west coast (literally - on the west coast of Vancouver Island), or I'd do it for you (I love using my MIG welder).

Personally, I'd take the part, pop by a metal shop, shmooze one of the welding guys for a couple of minutes, and they'll probably do it for you for nothing. Push it back into position (you can see where the original welds came loose), ground the casing, and stitch a short weld. Done.

**Wow! I did NOT notice that this thread was from 2012!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.