Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

On a recant road trip my bike died while doing 75 mph. could not get it to start right away. About 20 minutes later I got it to start with full chock, but would get above 1000 rpms. when I tried to give it gas it died. Tore in to it and found the # 3 relay melted and the plug also melted. Does any one know what would cause this to happen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
imported post

i bypassed mine by tapping into the wires behind the plug using a 30amp relay and socket.

i extended the socket from the back of the relay boxto reach just foward of the trunk.

havent had a problem since, and the aftermarket relay is heavier duty and a common part.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

sam j wrote:
Tore in to it and found the # 3 relay melted and the plug also melted. Does any one know what would cause this to happen
The cause is heat build up from having a poor contact where the relay plugs into the socket. Probably lost some spring tension and not holding good onto the relay pins thus causing heat build up and melting. If they are not too bad sometimes you can clean the socket contacts and bend them back a little to provide a better connection.Yours may be too far gone for that.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

New problem, removed each relay one at a time. It started each time except with # 7 removed, it is the starter relay. So what would cause an intermediate start problem.

Dazed and confused :sleepy:

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

The #3 relay would not cause it to die. What you may have is a fuel pump problem.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

When it stalled on me fuel was the first thing I thought of, not the fuel pump but bad gas. I will try to add some fuel additive and see if that will help. Can anyone tell me how much pressure the pump puts out?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

The 150, needs only a few PSI to fill carbs -- the factory manuals check only flow-rates, which should be about 22oz / minute (640cc/min).

Stream should be solid an unbroken durning your flow test.

There seems to be quie a few reports of issues with vacuum petcocks not holding open at high speed and causing fuel starvation. A quick check of vacuum hoses and the ability of the petcock to hold open with 10inHg may be of falue if you suspect fuel delivery.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks I'll give that a try, and let you know what happens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.