Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hope someone can help me. I have a 91 GL 1500 SE that recently lost spark on the entire right side. Thought at first it was fuel so I replaced the fuel filter and put in new plugs to no avail. I can actually pull all three plug wires on the right bank and it doesn't even drop the RPM's. When I checked the left side each plug drops the RPM's. I am suspecting the coil pack. Has anyone else experienced this problem. What all do I have to remove to get to the coil pack and exactly where is it located?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am a member of CMA and GWRRA, have 4 Hondas, 2 Silverwing Interstates ( a 1982 GL500I and a 1983GL650I ) plus the 91 GL 1500 SE with a Motorvation Sidecar and my wife ridesa 2002GL1800.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

Hum, you have three coils, each firing a left and right plug and two carburetors, one for the left bank and one for the right.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Haven't had the chance to tear it down far enough to get to them yet. Do I need to remove the air filter box to get to them or the cooling fans???

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

As I tried to say "forget the coils" you have a carburetor problem.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks, I will try to check it out. It does smell very rich. It was running fine. Stopped for supper and when I restarted it, it hasn't run right since.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

If you do find out it is the coils....yes you do have to remove the air box to get to them. You also have to remove the radiator overfill tank. You unbolt the coils and let them drop down and then unbolt the tank and wiggle it out, then remove the coils and plug wires. They are all one unit so the wires will have to come out also. Make sure you route to new coil/wires in the proper place and also place the right wire on the right plugs.

I just finished replacing my coil packs on mine as the ones in there were bad. Not a bad job as long as you take your time in doing it.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

First thing you need to do is a carb sync as the right would be off and will cause the symptoms you describe

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Haven't had much time to work on my bike but it sure looks like you are right. I do have spark in each of the cylinders. Aparently something has plugged the idle circuit of the right carb. Hopefully I can clean it easily. Thanks for your input. I do appreciate it.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,178 Posts
imported post

If you can open the throttle up and the engine suddenly picks up and runs smooth at say 2500 or more RPMs, then it is the idle circuits on the right side.

Or, a slider is not working, or the diaphragm is bad.

Carb problem though, definitely.

All 3 coil packs cannot go bad on the right side only. As explained above each coil pack fires both left and right plugs simultaneously.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I have it tore down enough to see the slides and they are working properly. It does run better at higher RPM's. What would you suggest to do with the idle circuit? I am dreading removing the carb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.