Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Finally getting around to working on why my saddle bag side lights aren't working and of course I end up with the electro-luminescent variety.:thumbsdown: I decided to try Rudy's LED mod and went to work prying the lens off the holder.


All I can say is just try not to crack the lens and don't even bother about the little tabs. With the amount of hot glue in these things I managed to save 3 out of 16 of the tabs. :baffled:I plan on using a silicon adhesive to put it back together anyway.


But, you need to clean out the hot glue to get a good fit going back together. Tried cutting with a knife - about as fun as poking your eye. Tried scraping with a small screwdriver - not even as effective. Then hit on a tip I'd like to pass along. Find a small screwdriver that fits the groove fairly tight, now get out your trusty hot air gun, set it to about 800 watts (if variable, or medium) and heat up about 2 inches of the glue. Take the screwdriver and plow the blade through the melted glue and pull it out. Slick :thumbsup:- don't burn your fingers pulling the glue off the screwdriver. I could only do about 1 1/2 to 3 inches at a time because this stuff sets up pretty quick when you take away the heat. Also you need a moment to get rid of the crud. Just heat up the next section and keep going. You can melt the plastic of the lens holder so give it a rest every once in awhile. Only took me about 20 minutes to do both units. (Took some pics but they turned out like crap ... can't figure out how to get my iPhone to focus for close up stuff)

Anyway, thought I'd pass that tip along - may save someone an hour or 2 of frustration and sliced fingers.

Pat
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top