Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of replacing the two small lights beside the two main headlights with LED H1 bulbs. While I am in here I thought I would entertain the idea of replacing the two main headlights.

I noticed on the plastic of the headlight assembly (molded in)they have two ratings for the wattage of the bulbs that occupy them. One is a US spec I believe (says US with a circle around it) and the other is a European (I think, has an E with a circle around it).

The US one says : 12v 45/45w H4

Which to me says 12v at 45 watt High Beam / 45 watt Lo Beam

The European one says : 12v 60/55w H4

Which to me says 12v at 60 watt High Beam / 55 watt Lo Beam

Both bulbs in there are 45/45w's. I don't know their age and I am looking to change them out as this is a bit of bugger to get at. Also, I am looking to have a whiter light output to match the color temp of the side LEDs of course! hahaha

My question is... Why the difference in wattage ratings? I am probably going to the Silver Star Ultras. I don't think there are any heat issues as far as my searching goes here. Any recommendation on bulbs without going HID?

Tim.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Well... I like the 60/55 Silverstar Ultras H4(9003) that you're thinking about there. thsy offer a nice clear light while drawing only a bit more power. As you've seen on the label, and as many can attest by experience, the housing and wire harnesses can take the extra heat, so no worries at all.

The bit on the lamp-change for location directly relates to the USCode Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards- Standard 108(§571.108)... The dual headlamps on the 1500 wereoffered a bit too much glare when equipped with the 60/55 bulbs, so the 45/45 was a good way to control glare for the US Standard (not saying that anyone's a dim-bulb here :p ) (take a peek at figure 32 -- it'll help describe the glare tests for Motorcycle headlamps -- FWIW, this is where many HID kits fail due mostly tothe length of the arc inside the HID element being mis-matched with the reflector & lens leaving the resulting light not-so-finely focused)

If you look at the front glass for US headlamps, somewhere there should be a designation of the lighting system that the bike has (number-letter-number Something like "2H1") The letter will designate the DOT type of lamp, and you can read the specific requiredments outta the link to 108 above. The headlamp types should be in the first few sections of the rule, if you get that interested.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Satan...

Excellent response back by a hell-of-a document!

I take it that you are still using the Ultras. If so, how long have you been using them and do you have to replace them often? For me, it is not worth the extra extra money to go this route if I have to replace them every season or so. I have had the same bulb in my 1100 Aspencade for the last 4 or 5 years. Just a regular bulb and it works fine. The amount of night driving I do is minimal.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
imported post

+1 on these: 60/55 Silverstar Ultras H4(9003)
Have used them for a number of years with no adverse affects. Love the light.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
I take it that you are still using the Ultras. If so, how long have you been using them and do you have to replace them often?

They've been in for2 tire changes and I can not complain (about 27K miles); no hint of failure. Only about years so far on these never parked for very long (I refuse to acknowlege "season" ;), so even in the darker moths it's ridin'season)...

I run the same lamp in my tiny cage, and it seems to fail at about 2x therate ofa 'standard' H4 bulb.

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

I have had the Silverstar Ultras in my 97 SE' for two years. I don't do much night riding so they are just lights to get the cagers attention. They throw the light further out than standard bulbs.

You don't want to use headlight bulbs for 4 or 5 years as the brightness fades after a couple of years, or so I am told.

Scrimping $$$$ on such a important things as seeing and being seen is false economy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.