Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey Guys,

Digging into my new to me 91 Aspencade for the first time. As I mentioned before, I will have a gazillion questions about the 15's now that I have one. Let the games begin!!

Here is a picture of my air box and the top of the two carbs. Very dirty. Question is, what could be causing this? Normal? The owner said that the air filter was 6+ years old.

The bike has a bit of hesitation when the throttle is first applied. Not much, but it is there.

So, this is what I have done so far:

1) Two full tanks of gas "Rich" with Seafoam.

then...

2) Oil Changed and filter. It was quite black and no water spots. Been in far too long as far as I can tell.

3) Fuel filter changed.

4) Installed new petcock - not a rebuild. It was weeping and VERY smelly in my power puff garage! hahaha

5) New air filter. Wow... the price!

6) I drained the two tubes in the left hand side. One contained a fair amount of water spotted with a bit of oil. The other only had a bit of that mixture. Both foul smelling.

7)The air box has been cleaned spotless.

8) Topped up the radiator with about 1/2 liter or a bit more of coolant. Then filled the reservoir to where it should have been. It seemed to be empty. Looks like it hasn't been touched for a while too.

I haven't had it out on the road yet since that work was done. Plastic is back on the bike but before I "finish" it and get the seat on, I figured I'd ask the question above.

Anything else I should think about doing?

Any ideas what up with the picture?

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

The new bike...

Attachments

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

The oil is coming from the crankcase breather tube with the blow-by gases.. Could be caused by high oil level, full breather hose storage tank or restricted air filter.

Keep those clear drain hoses under bike from filling up. Drain them often.

JD

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

JD has it right on.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

Agree with what was said above. Be sure to clean that out before you put in new air filter. Sounds like you have all the bases covered fingers. BTW...Nice looking wings ya got there.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
imported post

Check brake pads and change plugs if required, also change out sub filter and cruise control filter, easy to do while changing air filter, change rear diff oil and if getting new rear tyre grease the rear splines while in there. I also purchased a new to me 1500 done all this work, and now i know all this work is done and am happy to drive my 1500 on long journeys.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Going by the first pic the left carb may be working harder than the right and as the bike has not been serviced in such a long time a carb sync may get rid of the hesatation for you.

GL1500 Carburettor Balancing

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,793 Posts
imported post

You probably already know this but don't forget the timing belts.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Normal? The owner said that the air filter was 6+ years old.
That alone sums it up Tim, lack of maintenance. Spray the area ad inside the carbs with carb cleaner, fit new spark plugs and air filter and see if there is any improvement before going any deeper.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Did it have a K&N filter, or the stock paper Honda Filter? If it was K&N, then the oil may have come from the filter (eg Was over-oiled).

Can't quite tell from your picture is the "O-ring" seal is present, that sits in the lip of the air box (eg contacting the lip of the air filter). Make sure that the seal is present if you're using a paper filter (it's removed when using the K&N filter)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.