Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm in the process of overhauling my carbs. The four screws on the top and the four on the heater are frozen solid. Any ideas how to get these off without damage? I sprayed penetrating lubricant and let it sit overnight with no sucess. I'm going to purchase some impact screwdrivers today however was wondering if anyone else has ran into this and what they recommend.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I tried the old screw driver and almost turned blue trying. Put the impact to them and off they came....I must have loosened them with the screwdriver:D

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
I tried the old screw driver and almost turned blue trying. Put the impact to them and off they came....I must have loosened them with the screwdriver:D
yeah right:cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Used the impact screwdriver and they broke free with a few taps on each. Thanks again for the suggestions. I've taken a ton of detailed pics with comments on each showing where things go. If anyone would find these useful then let me know and I'll send them.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
imported post

tallyho wrote:
Used the impact screwdriver and they broke free with a few taps on each. Thanks again for the suggestions. I've taken a ton of detailed pics with comments on each showing where things go. If anyone would find these useful then let me know and I'll send them.
See told you so

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey guys. Take a look at the attached pic. How do I remove this part that bridges the jets in the float housing? I pull on it with plies and it does move however doesn't come off. I don't want to pull too hard for fear of damaging something. Should the jets pull of or screw out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I got the part off. Took some patience and coaxing. However the only jet I could remove is the one with the slot in the top of it. The other two have no slot (smooth on top). How do I get these out. See pic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Just food for thought. When I re-jetted the carbs in my Yamaha, They had the notorious 197 ft/lbs torque on the screws from the factory and about 20ft/lbs in reverse would strip them out. I bought 8 stainless screws from Phat Performance that were a direct replacement screw, but had an allen head. They worked great and I didnt have to worry about striping them out if I had to get back in there. I was thinking a guy could do the same with these carbs. I havent had to tear into my 'wings yet, but the Yamaha were Mikunis. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

OK...I think I'm on to something. It appears that those two are not to be removed. Am I correct?:cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.