Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm restoring my 91 GL1500I and would like to upgrade the audio. Does anyone make an aftermarket radio that would work with the handle bar controls? I would also like to add an aux input for my MP3 player. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. the stock radio works just sounds like crap and no aux input.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Siera Electronics can add and aux input to the existing radio for around $100. You could also add an XM Radio and attach works quite well. That's what I did with my 91I.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

Cal, where did you locate the switch and input plug on your Interstate?
Any pictures?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If it's a true Interstate radio, it should have an input (probably 92-96). But, a 91 radio may not. Is that the oddball Kenwood that resides inside the left pocket? The best bet would be to install a SE radio, but that would be a big job.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

the 91 GL1500 is the oddball where the radio is in the left fairing pocket. The amp is under the center console cover where the SE radio would go.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Haven't had it done yet. Just read about it in a magazine and briefly have been to their website. They are suppose to be quite good at reconditioning older radios and adding the input from the testimonials I've read.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

Yeah, my 91I doesnt have anything to plug into. Basically if it says Kenwood, it doesnt have anything but two speakers and AM/FM, no plugs. The antenna is real easy to get to if you find a hardwired FM modulator (the kind that has a male and female antenna on it. Thats what I am doing.

Bill

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I sent my amp to them a few years back when I first purchased the bike. Very helpful and knowlegable staff.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
imported post

here's my variation of the solution. i am using a cassette adaptor. i ran the wires underneath then up as you can see. it sit on piece of velcro.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Here's my new XM radio setup. A friend gave me the SkiFi2 receiver and I just found this waterproof cover on the internet for $20.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

SB,

How did you attach the SkyFi2 marine waterproof case? I bought the whole marine unit antenna, mounts and all off ebay. But didn't use as felt it was to big and bulky. I was planning to pick up a ram mount to put the regular base on the handle bar. Right now it's attached w/ velcro where the non interstate radios would be.

Cal

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

Cal wrote:
SB,

How did you attach the SkyFi2 marine waterproof case? I bought the whole marine unit antenna, mounts and all off ebay. But didn't use as felt it was to big and bulky. I was planning to pick up a ram mount to put the regular base on the handle bar. Right now it's attached w/ velcro where the non interstate radios would be.

Cal
You remove the mounting bracket from the back of the original cradle and attach it to the waterproof case with 4 machine screws. The cradle then fits into the waterproof case and attaches with two machine screws. I took the original mounting arm and attached it with velcro to the fader control on my bike.

The velcro holds it fine, but I might try to mount it to the handle bars eventually. I use velcro so I can move the unit from my bike to my car and to my work truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.