Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

91 SE Cruise Control Issue

6K views 90 replies 9 participants last post by  redwing52 
#1 ·
Having issues with setting the cruise and can’t locate a troubleshooting for it,did find a troubleshooting for 1500 but it shows the cruise test block under the seat but that’s not on the SE model.
When the switch is turned on both the cruise light and cruise set comes on and cruise set goes of in a few seconds but cruise set will not set,I’ve done the lubercation on the right handlebar cluster and all three brake switches are clicking but I haven’t physically checked them to see if they are operational.
Is there a troubleshooting guide for the SE?

#2 · (Edited)
The SE and Aspencade are the same.
Try taking the bike for a ride and hold the clutch lever forward while setting the cruise to see if that switch is the issue. This is the most common issue but usually won't set at all. Does it have a uniform failure pattern, like it sets and 2 seconds later it cuts off each and every time. Or might it go 2 seconds one time then 5 seconds the next time etc.
Also try pushing the brake lever ahead and try to set. Lift the brake pedal with your toe and try to set.

Of Course the speedometer must be working. Did you try 4th gear over 35 MPH? Can.t have LED for set light? :)

#88 ·
I have an ongoing problem with my 2000 SE. I live with it, but haven't been able to fix it. The problem is my front brake lever doesn't come out far enough by itself, to engage the switch that disengages the cruise. Anytime I can't get the cruise to set, I just move the front brake lever out with my finger and it will set. Either of the handlebar levers and the foot brake will have a switch on them to disengage the cruise, so any of them could be the problem.

#5 ·
Thanks guys,the cruise set ( but does come on when the key is turned on) doesn’t illuminat at all,I checked the bushings already,,moved the relays around in the holder on the left side

#7 ·
The hand lever has a double microswitch. You should hear two distinct clicks. The foot brake has two separate switches. You should also hear two clicks. The foot brake light switch is above the MC. The cruise switch is, ?? memory, below the MC and very hard to access.

#8 ·
Has It ever worked? The cruise module is under the trunk not the seat.

#9 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Ok ,I will work through this,be back soon

#16 ·
This jumping back and forth is hard. :) Have to be patient. If you click above you should see terminal #3 is set switch. That is wire color white/yellow. At the connector if you push the set button you should have contiuity from the black/yellow to the white/yellow.

#41 ·
The whit has 12 v,but the diagram you sent seems to have more wires than mine,looks like my barn/red is #16 on my connector

#21 ·
Redwing,here’s the instructionsI had found but I couldn’t locate the connector until I watched the video above,I think it’s where you are leading me too.

Attachments

#22 ·
Let me go through this and I’ll be right back. THANKS

#24 ·
Ok,all the tests were good EXCEPT the test from 16 /17,so I’m thinking the relay is the issue?

Attachments

#25 ·
It says if there’s 95 ohms then the relay is good so if there’s none the relay is good,I didn’t have this issue until I replaced the locator light lights relay.

#35 ·
Starts n runs great,thanks for your assistance. Jim

#32 ·
I’m not getting anything on the rear brake ,so that might be one issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.