Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
We are talking about stock brake, and clutch levers here, right? I seem to recall on one of my 1500s using a couple of layers of electrical tape on the pad of front brake lever that activates brake pressure.to get cruise to work. Listen closely for the 2 faint clicks as you work lever
gumbyred

·
Administrator
25,568 Posts
I checked the ones on the handlebar with multimeter and they are working,I’ll get back into it tomorrow.
Dave,might be a coincidence but this started when I replaced the #8 relay
You have to check the brn/red wire at the C33 connector to be sure all the switches are OK, you can just disconnect the clutch switch to test it. #8 relay has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
We are talking about stock brake, and clutch levers here, right? I seem to recall on one of my 1500s using a couple of layers of electrical tape on the pad of front brake lever that activates brake pressure.to get cruise to work. Listen closely for the 2 faint clicks as you work lever
gumbyred
it is stock,96000 miles

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I sent you 4 emails. I have a new computer that I am having a hard time learning plus the new forum. I hope you can find them. There should be 4 pages and I think you will find them very helpful as they show how to test right at connector 33.
I haven’t recurved any email yet,I checked and my email is correct,thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I have a faucet leaking outside my home and have to get that fixed today so this will have to wait till I get that repaired,I will get the foot brake and the throttle switches and come back with the results.
THANKS BUNCHES FOR YOU GUYS HELP ??

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
I haven’t recurved any email yet,I checked and my email is correct,thanks
I lf you click on your avatar name on the top right next to the 3 black dots in the black stripe that goes across the screen. When you click on that box you will get a drop down menu. Then click on "conversations." You will find 4 conversations sent from me. Go to the 4th one down first and work your way up. If you don't do them 4-3-2 then 1 you could have trouble, So test from the bottom up on the list of conversations. I think you will find these very helpful.

Hope you get your spigot fixed. The time away from the bike might be a good thing. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks Redwing( Mike),I did get the faucet fixed,it’s a freezeless one and over time somehow the seat developed a nick in it allowing water to escape through it but being a longtime toolmaker I made a surface finisher out of a wood dowel and put some wet/dry sandpaper and using my cordless drill resurfaced the seat,no more leaks,
I will look at your messages and get back to you,I think I may as well remove the top and sides on the fairing to access all the stuff and if I find the issue I can just replace it.
Thankd for all that have give me valuable suggestions???

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
Thanks Redwing( Mike),I did get the faucet fixed,it’s a freezeless one and over time somehow the seat developed a nick in it allowing water to escape through it but being a longtime toolmaker I made a surface finisher out of a wood dowel and put some wet/dry sandpaper and using my cordless drill resurfaced the seat,no more leaks,
I will look at your messages and get back to you,I think I may as well remove the top and sides on the fairing to access all the stuff and if I find the issue I can just replace it.
Thankd for all that have give me valuable suggestions???
I would do the test before any more plastic off. Very good chance you won't have to remove any more. Find the issue first Jim.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
im gonna ask probably a dumb question but,if it says ohms,do i need to set my meter to ohms and what reading,the others should be continuity except the voltage.?one would think i never did anthing like this but just want to make sure.
Ok I will do this and get back.

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
Some ohm meters are automatic and they will choose the range that is best for what you are testing, That is called autoranging. If you use a less expensive meter start at the highest and work your way down until you get a reading that is the most accurate but pay attention to the range if it is digital. 2 ohms is equal to 2000 milliohms. Also watch for decimal points.
With all that said I bet when you find the issue it will just be dead, NOT A LOW VOLTAGE OR HIGH OHMS ETC. What meter are you using?

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
im gonna ask probably a dumb question but,if it says ohms,do i need to set my meter to ohms and what reading,the others should be continuity except the voltage.?one would think i never did anthing like this but just want to make sure.
Ok I will do this and get back.
That is how I learned.. Both here and through out my life. No such thing as a dumb question. Way better than a dumb mistake. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I’ve been through most of the checks,the tests that are continuity,theres no buzzer or movement ( digital meter)the ohms,there’s big numbers that pop up but go off,on the ones that are voltage,white 12v but the others that supposed to have voltage there’s none.
Dave said last night that no voltage ment that one of the switches was the issue but I checked the handlebar ones and they both buzz until they are pulled and they stop.have not done the others,your messages were helpful

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
If no power on the brn/red at connector 33 check the foot brake switch. With the key on you should have power at the grn yei and white/green wires. You can use a test light if you prefer

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ok,will be a bit,got honey do. Thanks

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
How does the throttle work to disable the cruise,any chance I have the cables too tight.?

·
Premium Member
6,285 Posts
How does the throttle work to disable the cruise,any chance I have the cables too tight.?
If you grab the throttle can you rotate it backwards, When you turn it backwards it trips a switch. If you want to check if that is the issue check for power on brn/red while holding the throttle half open. I doubt it is the issue as you are certainly holding the throttle forward when trying to engage the cruise. .

61 - 80 of 91 Posts