Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1500 has 29k mi. It just had the carbs done and a new rear tire mounted. Price $4200.
The 1800 has 89k mi. and is $6500.
I am 6'3" 400lbs. I thought I might just get the 1500 and if I decide on an 1800 later, sell the 1500 and get one. I wouldn't hardly lose anything on the deal.
But, to just go ahead and get my hands on a 1800 with all the tech improvements may be the way.
I am leaning towards the 1800, but that 1500 is a deal that had better be jumped on.
I can't sleep. Oh fart.:?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
First, if you want to ride for long, lose some weight! I'm 6'10" and weigh 300 lbs. at almost 59 years old! Seriously, Brother.

That said, I ride a GL1800 regularly as a friend at church has one, and it's a magnificent machine, but it's simply too cramped for me, even sitting on the passenger's seat, which I don't like, feels weird. He's 6'4" and prefers my '85 GL1200 and we both use the road plates unless we're in town and/or shifting. I honestly think you'll be cramped on an 1800. The 1500 has the most leg room, on the pegs, of all the Wings. The price you mentioned is pretty fair, and I'd offer $500 less and work from there.

I planned to sell my '83 GL1100 and '85 Gl1200 for enough profit (I bought BOTH of them for $1800) to move to a GL1500, but the 1200 is such a great bike that I must keep it. I'll sell the 1100, but not "Tatanka," the 1200. I just did a speed run the other day with my wife in her car, which dropped away at 100 mph, 108 mph on my dial. I finally fully opened him up on a local slab. 132mph on the digital dial and at that speed I figure 124mph actual, better than the OEM spec, so why should I sell the old boy? I don't usually drive that fast. He's all I need and he's my buddy! As Lee Emry said in "Full Metal Jacket", "He's got guts, and guts is enough!"

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks there Corn, yeah that was a bit of the theory behind getting a bike. I figured getting out more and socializing might lend itself to the motivation to get some fitness back into my life. I've been big my whole life, but this is just too damn big. I appreciate the insight on size. I figured the 1500 might be bigger and thus a better bike to get going on.
I just though that dadgummed Fuel Injection might be a pretty good improvement for those quick jaunts to school or the tattoo parlor downtown. I would like to switch to the bike as my main mode of transportation.
I think the guy is pretty firm on his $4200 price, but it seems fair compared to what people are asking out for 'wings out here. Maybe I'll just sit on my hands and see if it sells quick and if not, then ask him to drop the price. He seems like a very nice person that I am comfortable making a deal with.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Trust your gut, Brother. And, yes, the world is not built for people our size. Even less so for my son who is 7'2". My wife is 6' tall. Fortunately for her, our daughter is only 5'8" for some reason.

You'll find the Wing that "sings" to you: "C'mon, Big Boy, I'm your Huckleberry!" (ref: "Tombstone", a great movie.) There are plenty of Wings out there. Be picky and negotiate honestly and you'll get what you want, for sure!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
I have mentioned this a few times before, the Wing/ height thing is dependent on more than just the height of the person, but much more about whether they are long legged or long bodied. I am about the same height as a mate Ian, we both ride 1800's and are about 5'11". He has very long legs and short body and I am the opposite, or in fact probably "average". The 1800 fits me perfectly, both feet flat on the ground, seat comfortable, fairing a good way away from my knees. I look over the screen with it down and through it when it is up, pretty much just how we would all like to be. My mate Ian however has had to lower his screen to it's minimum height and still had to cut a huge chunk off the top, just to be able to peer over the top. He could probably do with a bit more off, but the vent would prevent this happening. If I am riding behind him and he has a top box bag on the rack, I can only just see the top of his helmet and it almost looks like no one is on the bike. His knees just miss the fairing and so that is a blessing, but he needs to use his cruiser boards often, just to stretch his legs out.
I know of at least one other mate who is over 6' tall and he is all body, so he can see over the screen even when it is up fully, and his knees are no closer to the fairing than mine.
So you will see, it is about more than just the height of the rider, it is the way the individual is "constructed" so each person would need to find what suits them best.
I would advocate "try before you buy" and see which one feels most comfortable for you.
I am one of the lucky ones, in that the guy they used to size up Goldwings must have been built about like me, cuz all the ones I have had have suited my stature. :)

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,907 Posts
An 1800 for $6500? Don't think twice!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have mentioned this a few times before, the Wing/ height thing is dependent on more than just the height of the person, but much more about whether they are long legged or long bodied. I am about the same height as a mate Ian, we both ride 1800's and are about 5'11". He has very long legs and short body and I am the opposite, or in fact probably "average". The 1800 fits me perfectly, both feet flat on the ground, seat comfortable, fairing a good way away from my knees. I look over the screen with it down and through it when it is up, pretty much just how we would all like to be. My mate Ian however has had to lower his screen to it's minimum height and still had to cut a huge chunk off the top, just to be able to peer over the top. He could probably do with a bit more off, but the vent would prevent this happening. If I am riding behind him and he has a top box bag on the rack, I can only just see the top of his helmet and it almost looks like no one is on the bike. His knees just miss the fairing and so that is a blessing, but he needs to use his cruiser boards often, just to stretch his legs out.
I know of at least one other mate who is over 6' tall and he is all body, so he can see over the screen even when it is up fully, and his knees are no closer to the fairing than mine.
So you will see, it is about more than just the height of the rider, it is the way the individual is "constructed" so each person would need to find what suits them best.
I would advocate "try before you buy" and see which one feels most comfortable for you.
I am one of the lucky ones, in that the guy they used to size up Goldwings must have been built about like me, cuz all the ones I have had have suited my stature. :)
Thanks for the insight Pete. I appreciate ya.
I have a very large build, but I am quite versatile, I was an All-American Heavyweight wrestler and intercollegiate OL football player. I should be able to adapt to whatever I end up acquiring. I would think that the 200-300mile out of town trek, and a daily commute, will be the primary purpose of my new wing.
Since I posted this, I have found several other threads on the topic. I appreciate everyone's experience on the board and look forward to the time when I have my own wing and can share my experience.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel injection is more a result of EPA standards. Honda has been doing carburetors right for a long time.
I agree sir, and the fact that the carbs on the 92 were just gone through is a pretty big selling point, Things should run smooth for a few years before needing a tune-up.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trust your gut, Brother. And, yes, the world is not built for people our size. Even less so for my son who is 7'2". My wife is 6' tall. Fortunately for her, our daughter is only 5'8" for some reason.

You'll find the Wing that "sings" to you: "C'mon, Big Boy, I'm your Huckleberry!" (ref: "Tombstone", a great movie.) There are plenty of Wings out there. Be picky and negotiate honestly and you'll get what you want, for sure!
Thanks Corn, I am trying to slow down and open my ears that I may hear her calling to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
whats the deal with the 1800 for 6500 bucks. I havent seen an 1800 go for that cheap unless it was wrecked. The 1500 has almost no miles on it for a goldwing. you got a whole lot of life left on that bike. I own a 1500 and I have floor boards on it. at 6'4 (with long legs), I have plenty of room on that bike.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
Cheaper isn't always better, nor is newer....... nor is less miles.......

Hope that helps...... JK

I too would question the low price on the 1800. Maybe the seller just wants it gone and doesn't know the value, just through a price on it, but if thats the case, I would buy it and relist it for at least $9K.

The 1500 seems like low miles (which is good) however you will need to do a lot of maintenance items (from age) so there's a couple grand easily, not to mention the time it will take to complete.

I would have to play it safe and buy both, if you need to later on, sell the one you drive the least, you can't lose money on either one.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
whats the deal with the 1800 for 6500 bucks. I havent seen an 1800 go for that cheap unless it was wrecked. The 1500 has almost no miles on it for a goldwing. you got a whole lot of life left on that bike. I own a 1500 and I have floor boards on it. at 6'4 (with long legs), I have plenty of room on that bike.
You know JC, I have seen two other 2001s sell for similar prices. I think this person believes he has a high mileage bike (the other 2 had over 120k), it hasn't sold and has come down in price $2k to where I can now afford to get into it for $6500.
I ain't scared of the miles. Those bugs/recalls though.... I love all the knowledgeable forums here on the site. All the knowledge can be a bit overwhelming though.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheaper isn't always better, nor is newer....... nor is less miles.......

Hope that helps...... JK

I too would question the low price on the 1800. Maybe the seller just wants it gone and doesn't know the value, just through a price on it, but if thats the case, I would buy it and relist it for at least $9K.

The 1500 seems like low miles (which is good) however you will need to do a lot of maintenance items (from age) so there's a couple grand easily, not to mention the time it will take to complete.

I would have to play it safe and buy both, if you need to later on, sell the one you drive the least, you can't lose money on either one.
As I previously mentioned Jobe, I think he thinks it's high mileage on the 1800. I think otherwise.
The good thing about the 1500 is the solid history. The guy just had the carbs and fuel system gone through. I would hope that they looked the timing belts over, but that would be the next thing on my list. Whether or not 29k miles is enough to warrant the change, the 21 years is.
Ultimately, I wish I could just buy them both. I really feel like I need to sh!t or get off the pot on either one of these deals.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
With out seeing them I would hate to give the wrong advice but if you can get the 1800 for $6500, I'd be all over that with out a second thought, it may already be to late!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Buy them both. Problem solved. Now you can ride each of them for a while and decide which works best for you and sell the other.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
IF you can, buy both of them and let your experience talk to you.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Tom, I'm 6'4 - 285 and I have an 1800. How you fit on an 1800 will depend on your leg length. If your inseams are longer than 34" then you will find the 1800 a bit cramped for you. Even for me with my 34" inseam I find that with my feet on the pegs my knees brush the shelter and my feet are angled down forward.

After about 60 to 90 minutes of riding the knee angle begins to bother me and I have to take a 10-15 minute break. Doing this I can average 300-500+ miles per day. So far I have put over 80,000 on my 04.

You will find out that with your height you will need a backrest on the bike. I bought a Utopia and love it. Don't be afraid to cut the seat to install it, mine has had no issues in 8 years.

I did find there appeared to be more legroom on a 1500 but I sure like the responsiveness of the 1800 and with the fuel injection there is less fuel system maintenance to be done.

Whichever you get enjoy it.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,907 Posts
Get the 1800 and resell after upping the price to $10 or $11k buy the 1500 for almost free.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.