Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
OK, if you go test the 4 prongs you should find 2 that are hot always. We will deal with them later.

That leaves 2 prongs. Plug the yellow/red wire in to one and the brown/red in the other. No polarity so no order to worry about.

Now back to the 2 prongs that are hot always. There should be a red wire plugged in to either one of the hot prongs and the other hot prong is empty.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
crossing the solenoid posts with a screwdriver would start the bike if the ignition was powered up right?

Are you asking me if it would start? If all was as it should be, and the key was on and you jumped from the B to the M stud it should start and run. The problem is you veered off course a bit. There is no answer for why the engine quit down the block related to the solenoid.
If you look back at one of my previous posts you should notice I mentioned the possibility that the kill switch or the ignition relay might be the issue. I think you should temporarily hook the 2 wires together at the kill switch and move the saddle bag out just a bit. Find the lowest relay in the box and flip flop it with another. Put one bolt back to hold the saddle bag on and take it for a ride around and around the block so you aren't too far from home. If that fixes the problem don't forget to replace the bad relay you flip flopped in another place. So keep track of which is where when you flip flop them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Such awesome info.i touched the 2 wires together from the killswitch.nothing happened.when i do that is that leaving the killswitch off all the time.so i could leave it like that and just use the key?

·
Administrator
58,461 Posts
With the two switch wires connected together, it just bypasses the OFF/ON/OFF switch.

Meaning that with the Ignition on, and bike in neutral, it should start every time ( assuming all of the other starter related wires, and relays are good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
About to go nuts with this bike. None of the fuses are blown.i moved the saddlebag to get to the relays.my manual shows me with a poor picture which is the ignition relay.inside the cover it also shows.since all the relays are the same i plugged different ones in the slot.i believe its second one down on the right.the 5 am fuse at the bottom is also ok.i dont hsve all the relays plugged in.someone has removed a couple.the 30 amp fuse that sits on top of the starter relay is also not blown.i disconnected the wires of the killswitch.cut off the female connectors.bared the wires and twisted them together.the start button does nothing.theres a second starter relay and have no idea why it would need two.please somebody figure this out.could the ignition switch be causing this?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Are you sure that is an Interstate? It has no reverse does it? You would have 2 solenoids if you had reverse. That would make the bike an Aspencade or SE though.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Are you using a voltmeter or a test light? With the key in the on position you should have power where you twisted the 2 wires together at the kill switch. We can start there and work forward. Do you have power there?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Regardless of what you find at the kill switch I have one more easy test. At the starter solenoid with the fuse in it find the little wire that is yellow with a red stripe.With the transmission in neutral sidestand up and the clutch pulled in push the start button. Each time you push the start button you must have power at the yel/red wire. Do you?

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
It’s 9pm.no garage.no outsu
IDE light.i have a test light.i will try the things u said tomorrow.i appreciate the help
Don't make yourself crazy. Just be methodical and get the results for the things I asked. Did you ever flip, flop the relay I mentioned earlier? That ignition relay could answer both the question of why the engine shutdown and why the start button is dead. If that relay fails both issues would happen. No starter and no running. A relay can work for a while then act up then work again for a while...........
Are you sure the bike is an interstate. It should only have 1 solenoid. Two solenoids for a bike with reverse only.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ta da! Yeeha! It runs.duh. i had robbed and swapped the relays so much i didnt even have the right lower one in.put one in.pushed the STARTER button and .0001 seconds later its purring like a kitchen.confucius say if you unplug the sucker plug it back in.damn i am dumb.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
Ta da! Yeeha! It runs.duh. i had robbed and swapped the relays so much i didnt even have the right lower one in.put one in.pushed the STARTER button and .0001 seconds later its purring like a kitchen.confucius say if you unplug the sucker plug it back in.damn i am dumb.
Actually Confucius say "Duck who fly upside down have quack up!" Glad you got the bike going. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It broke again.i am done,someone please buy it.afriend came by to go riding since I fixed it? It wouldn’t start.i switched another relay.it started. I let it idle. I lifted it up off the side stand,flipped up the kickstand.it died.would not start when back down on sidestand.i think it’s bank angle sensor,sidestand switch, and relay.the first time ought it was fixed I rode it several blocks.i was lucky I gues.also when the relay was functioning the nonworking signals all started working.is is over my head.i had recently spent $380 for mick o pegs. Highway pegs.now for naught.someone take it as is for $1500

21 - 40 of 47 Posts