Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I( have a real nice 92 interstate I intend changing to a Valkyrie.A nakedized wing more or less.The frames are way different.Rather than try to fabricate a tank cover, sidecovers etc I thought about buying a Valkyrie frame and using a clip from it.They are not expensive.I did not know if the suspension would work.I think if I cut the Goldwing frame at the neck and welded the clip in place I would retain the vin and make things easier. False tank covers rather than doing al that I am not sure.The keith wright wildwings kind of is the idea.I think a real gas tank and relocating things might be the way to go.The valk topframe would make that easier.This is going to be a very custom bike.I wil spend probably a year doing it.I will be selling all the plastic. Its blue btw

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
Why not sell the interstate , rather than waste it, and buy a nice Valk?????
My thoughts as well.

Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Do you plan to notify your insurance company of all the modifications to the '92 Wing..?? They might be interested.......:grin3:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input. I once owned a 98 Valkyrie tourer.I liked it.But I could not, or should I say did not ride it safely.It was so fast many times I looked down and was going 110.Plus the 6 carbs and high compression got me 28 mpg.I don't want to have a powerful bike and have to ride it at 60 mph to get 30 mpg.My invented valk would not be as fast.I hate the Goldwing weight.I love the bike, just hate the weight.There is no way to tone down a Valkyrie that I know of.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why is it nobody on the Goldwing page ngw has a problem with dedressing a Goldwing.ngw site.there is an audio clip dragon's motorcycles of a 1500 made into a café racer.I wish I could share it here.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked closer.no way to do what I am talking about.the 1500 wing has a lot of flat slab like framework.the Valkyrie is tube like.If I could figure a way to get rid of an honest 100 pounds off the bike that might be enough to make me happy.removing the trunk doesn't help much.removing it and the saddlebags leaves a lot of ugly things exposed.I tried selling the bike.I have received no calls.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
thanks for the input. I once owned a 98 Valkyrie tourer.I liked it.But I could not, or should I say did not ride it safely.It was so fast many times I looked down and was going 110.Plus the 6 carbs and high compression got me 28 mpg.I don't want to have a powerful bike and have to ride it at 60 mph to get 30 mpg.My invented valk would not be as fast.I hate the Goldwing weight.I love the bike, just hate the weight.There is no way to tone down a Valkyrie that I know of.

There is a way.....Wrist Action......:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
Why not just use some imagination.

Cut down windscreen, lop off trunk & support, Cast off rotor covers, shorter matched rear shocks. The trunk being gone will free up power with less wind resistance, maybe help mileage too. There's more.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
Here's a different version why not make a GL1500 F6B. Just like the 1800 version only a 1500. Remove the trunk and put a filler over it with a rack and passenger backrest and a shorty windshield. It will be one of a kind and no one else with have one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
crystal pistol and trike lady.f6 B.Geez.awsome simple.Way cool idea. Shorter matched shocks? I didn't know that was possible.I am not sure what part number or identification but that is also awesome.Yall are geniuses. I knew I was on the right page. Thanks sooo much. I couldn't see the forest for the trees.

·
Administrator
57,423 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,351 Posts
one question.cutting down the windshield.What tool do I use. I would think jigsaws or dremels would heat up the plastic and melt it
I use tape on both sides, mark my cut, and use a Makita Sabre Saw on low speed with a metal cutting blade, no melting plastic to close up behind the cut. Air hose to blow away plastic dust. I use a file first to dress my cut, then small wooden block with wet or dry sand paper, start 180, then to 320, then about 600 grit. Then plastic polish on edges.

I have removed a windshield to cut on my bandsaw, but I like to leave it in place on the bike.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that's exactly the look.for 127$.I can cut mine for free.But its good to have a second choice.I have many questions.I hate texting and bugging people.Taking off the trunk and passenger swingout arm rests plus the humongous markland boards took off about 60 pounds.so the rear end will have less wind drag, but the front is way too heavy.Inside the fairing are many things I can remove.Like I never will have a cb or intercom.So maybe a pound there.what all is so heavy inside there.I have now had 7 1500s, an 82 and 2 78 wings.Of course the oldwings were easy to nakedize. I wonder why none of the 1500s have fork seal leaks.Is it the frame mounts for the fairing that are so heavy.the center console? what is it? Probably some things are not removeable.If I had nothing inside the shell would that lose the weight.Mine is the interstate so no reverse gear,cruise control, snd I don't think they came with an air compressor.I loved the taillight link.It will look they were always there.I suppose a Dremel to cut the holes.I do not want to take the centerstand off, but that probably is 15 pounds.All input is appreciated.

·
Magic Moderator
4,209 Posts
The fairing house the headlights, speakers for the radio, a wiring harness, electronics, headlight adjuster, gauges and vents. The radio is in the center console and a gas door, under all that is the air filter.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts