41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Magic Moderator
4,438 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You ordered the shorty windshield and that will look good.
The cables the hold the lid open are #21 and 22 on this page: https://www.hondapartsnation.com/oemparts/a/hon/506cb048f870023420a40959/saddlebag Maybe you can get them locally from the Honda dealer.
Have you thought about using the tour pack lid as a filler panel?

those pictures are killing me.keepem coming.I think with the aft seat extension there will be very little to cover.The lid idea is a good one.I also have a sheet of abs to do something with.One of my saddlebags cables stuck out enough to open the left one.the right one is inside,no idea what I will do about that.The leverhandles attached to the cables that open the bags I will affix somewhere to continue their use.not sure.this is a blank sheet of paper.I want to dehump the seat.thos bike pics are the one thing I did not like, was the humps.I want more of a gunfighter narrower profile seat like the f6b,maybe even a bit narrower in front.Most people may not like what it looks like when I am done but its my bike and if I like it that's perfect. p. s. school me.you probably only dealt with the 1800s but on the 1500 there is little engine exposure to be attained.the side panels are blended into the hugely wide dash and all the air conditioner vents etc.I don't see a line where I can cut and expose more engine on the 1500.

·
Magic Moderator
4,438 Posts
To expose more of the motor you can always remove these side covers. You remove these to check the oil level and fill and to bleed the hydraulic clutch. The top one is chrome finished and the other is either gray or painted to match. The black cover on the second black GL1800 that is similar to the one on the 1500.

Attachments

·
1,648 Posts
It all depends on what kind of time you feel like investing to get what you want. I'll look for the link, but there is a guy who completely replaced the bodywork on his GL1500, to get the look he wanted. It was an amazing job.

Did you see this version?

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14556#p73696
That model was sold in Germany only ( in the early 1990`s ) and when they came from the dealer they also had an wery low windshield . At that time Germany had some regulations on the maximum heigth of an motorcycle .
We call that trunk the "pizza box" here in my Country:surprise:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
To expose more of the motor you can always remove these side covers. You remove these to check the oil level and fill and to bleed the hydraulic clutch. The top one is chrome finished and the other is either gray or painted to match. The black cover on the second black GL1800 that is similar to the one on the 1500.
once again.thank you so much.so much knowledge.I would have acquired some of it eventually by trial and error.so much better to spend 5 minutes listening to an expert.thank you

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
hmmm.how am I going to get the saddlebags open.one wire broke,one is inside the right one.duh.2 oddlooking little posts stick up where the trunk was.push down on either one and a saddlebag pops open.geez

·
Registered
557 Posts
hmmm.how am I going to get the saddlebags open.one wire broke,one is inside the right one.duh.2 oddlooking little posts stick up where the trunk was.push down on either one and a saddlebag pops open.geez
There is a hole for emergency release if the cable breaks. Pretty sure it's in the owners manual, if not the service manual. And of course discussed on this site and others.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I don't know where yall live, but you should envy me.It was 72 degrees,no breeze,clear skies yesterday, the high about 82 expected today.I have only taken 60 pounds off my bike but it screams.I am loving the plan.Trike lady inspired me.I am taking the seat soon to get it cut down,reshaped and reupholstered.I don't know how i am supposed to make it for a week while the seat is redone.ride my cruiser I guess.

·
Administrator
58,449 Posts
sounds like a plan...

I have two nephews in Denton somewhere....
one of them is an artist, he has painted diodramas on bridges, buildings, in and around Denton.... maybe you have seen them?

if you have, would appreciate some pictures, as he is not very communicative with his elders :(

Seems like their last names are 'Thomas'

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have seen MPG reports run the full range of way low, to astronomically impossible. I am always suspect of the superior high numbers.

I use a cellphone app called "Fuelio" that tracks MPG over the long term, and from tank to tank.

Just yesterday I went for a ride and having recalled just recently topping off the fuel, did not give any thought to not having enough for a trip of 175 miles.... but at 175 miles my bike is nearing running out of gas, I should have topped it off the day before I left.

I had to stop at 80 miles and top it up, took 4.3 gallons out of 6.7 total.
Oops!! that 80 miles fuel stop was actually 140 miles since last fueled up. Uh oh.

Riding just another 40 miles would have put me into the reserve RED zone and FUEL LOW light... As the last 42 miles was just twisties and no fuel pumps, I could not chance that. the full trip length yesterday was 175 miles, each way.

Going down, I had head winds, coming home I had a right quartering side to rear tail wind.... but, I was tired and riding at or below the speed limits. the 2nd top off for yesterday was vastly better than the 1st one...... the trip down, I was riding 10+ over the speed limit of 75 at times, 70 most of the time and 65 the rest of the way.... so conserving fuel was not top of the list.

I discount all reported gas consumption reports, UNLESS the owner meticulously records every drop of gas.... something that I do.

I have owned two 1500s, and now an 1800.... guess what? Overall, all 3 of those bikes averaged 33 mpg, Day in and Day out...... and both bike models have owners who say they never get below 40 or 45 mpg....

I say Balderdash, they did not ride beside me over the same terrain..... my bikes have returned almost 45 MPG, but in each instance, the top speeds for those trips was 45 MPH... no where near 80 or 85 mph into headwinds.

the type of windshield is important also. big one? tiny one? the 1500s both had Tulsa Tall windscreens, and 32 to 33 mpg was the best they ever did.

my 1800 has a Madstad and the screen can drop down as low as 7 or 8 inches above the dash.... or it can be raised to 12 to 14 inches above the dash.... I did both yesterday, down going at first, helmet shaking giving me a headache, raised it to the top and wind turbulence gone, but gas mileage got worse.

here is a screen shot of the last 3 fill-ups for the 1800, notice the extremely wide values reported. both of the lower numbers were on very long trips into head winds and running +5 or +10 over the Speedlimit. Notice the numbers, ~36mpg and ~32 and ~26 mpg.

I also use Fuelio and have for serveral years. I normally get around 42 MPG give or take. In fact, I noticed the last three fillups were down to 38. Which tell me I should probably replace the spark plugs, change the air filter and adjust the valves and other maintenance. at the end of August, we road 3500 miles round trip from Michigan to South Dakota with different leaders in our group. When I led or my brother led, I would get 46 MPG, when my son led, I got 34 MPG. The biggest difference is how well the leader was able to maintain speed on the highway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
sounds like a plan...

I have two nephews in Denton somewhere....
one of them is an artist, he has painted diodramas on bridges, buildings, in and around Denton.... maybe you have seen them?

if you have, would appreciate some pictures, as he is not very communicative with his elders :(

Seems like their last names are 'Thomas'
I moved from denton 4 months ago.however I go there often.I have seen the wonderful murals.I will try to remember to post some here for you.whoever does them does a great job

41 - 60 of 108 Posts