Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
I also use Fuelio and have for serveral years. I normally get around 42 MPG give or take. In fact, I noticed the last three fillups were down to 38. Which tell me I should probably replace the spark plugs, change the air filter and adjust the valves and other maintenance. at the end of August, we road 3500 miles round trip from Michigan to South Dakota with different leaders in our group. When I led or my brother led, I would get 46 MPG, when my son led, I got 34 MPG. The biggest difference is how well the leader was able to maintain speed on the highway.

I got a good tickle out that....
I don't have the patience to dawdle around on the road, I just set the GPS for destination and I get there as fast as the law allows. That does not make for the best MPG returns.

Also, as I mentioned, I live in the wide open spaces, and you can only enjoy about 2 miles of grassland and no trees or caves, or mountains, or other fantastic scenery.

I refuse to ride to Tulsa, and will use the US highways to avoid and go thru/around it, but I will not ride my bike inside Tulsa period.
too damn dangerous.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It was my son who couldn't keeps steady speed which ruins gas mileage. I found it funny the young guy couldn't keep a reasonably steady speed, he varied about 30 mph.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
tulsa sounds like dallas.its suicide to ride there.people doing 75 in a 60,cutting across lanes in front of you, cellphones in use the whole time.I hate it

·
Premium Member
3,278 Posts
It was my son who couldn't keeps steady speed which ruins gas mileage. I found it funny the young guy couldn't keep a reasonably steady speed, he varied about 30 mph.

If it was my son leading, we would all get about 25 mpg trying to keep up with him. :ROFL:

·
Administrator
58,432 Posts
If it was my son leading, we would all get about 25 mpg trying to keep up with him. :ROFL:
The thing about riding with other people, is that if you are two or three bikes behind, it is impossible to maintain a set speed, unless there is an agreement in advance to use a GPS as the indicated speed, and to use the bike's Cruise Control .

Doing that helps me a lot, but still, folks like DaveO430 go through tight twistys w/o ever kicking off the cruise at all. I won't, I back down, and that causes me to loose some spacing.

If you try to regain that spacing, you have to push the speed limit by 10 or 20 mph...... we have agreed on our rides that we agree on where we are going, and when we all arrive, we are there. Dave usually has one or two cigarettes smoked by the time I arrive :grin3:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Doubleminded, a few years back I was visiting my daughter in centeral Illinois when I was called back to Westerville, OH on a family emergency...a distance of roughly 360 miles. I loaded up and headed east on I-70 all the way, running at 80mph whenever possible which was most of the time except going through Indianapolis. I filled up one time, the results were an even 31mpg. I topped off upon arrival and it was slightly over 30 by a fraction, in all my travels I've never dropped below 30 unless I was running hard into a headwind. On that trip I had been traveling with the bags and trunk loaded, add in my 215lbs and size 12s in the wind on the highway pegs and you have a bit of drag. Regardless, I set my cruise control on 80 and left it there. I know what these bikes are capable of and I agree when someone speaks of mpg in the low 40s on a regular basis, it raises an eyebrow. You don't get that unless you're running 50mph with a tail wind....downhill. Like I told one cop last year....I like to ride my age, thankfully he didn't ask what that was(I'll never see the 70s again).
As for my original comments, they weren't meant as criticism. Many members of the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club(VRCC) talk of low mileage and lament ever buying the bike. I first ask their usual highway speed, then follow with "I didn't buy the Valkyrie for the mileage, I got it for the performance and it has never let me down."

·
Magic Moderator
4,436 Posts
I have the feeling this is going to be a nice bike when done. Professional designer/builders have made some 'Goofy Goldwings'. But I have the feeling that doubleminded's GL1500/F6B is going to look better. :smile2:
:cam:

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have the feeling this is going to be a nice bike when done. Professional designer/builders have made some 'Goofy Goldwings'. But I have the feeling that doubleminded's GL1500/F6B is going to look better. :smile2:
:cam:
I have comments and questions.where do you get all those pictures.the red one is exactly what I am trying to avoid. that looks like it should be forever mounted on a turning pedestal at shows,not rideable,might mess up the zillion dollar paint. I know you didn't like the sportwing 1800 of denny bergs.what I liked about all his builds were they weren't really builds with the exception of the Vulcan 2000 chopper.He created a frame for that one. Instead what he did was use existing parts, modified some of them in a perfectly diy fashion and the parts looked like one off custom parts. I want my bike, and I may fail, to be like wow, I didn't know honda made a f6b in 92.cool. I am a huge custom and hotrod fan. 55 chevy originals are nice.But put the babbet rod inline 6 and 3 on a tree and try to go crosscountry.nope. last question-The radio was nonfunctional, it was disconnected from the plug and play connections.I have 2 manuals now.One came I didn't remember ordering but still now I have 2.The radio unit itself is plugged in to another conglomeration of things inside the fairing? If so, I need to disconnect those also.And the place on the fairing that says cb intercome-there are more parts inside I can get rid of? Your help has been so helpful.Thank you.

·
Magic Moderator
4,436 Posts
I found the pics through a search. Yours will look more like a GL1500 and not unrideable art, most designers/builders want to show you 'Wow' and every one of these bikes come to the show in an enclosed trailer. The best bikes I have seen in shows are the ones from the people themselves, those who tinker and try different ideas.
Once you remove the radio and all associated items like speakers, you'll have spaces to fill with filler panels.
You're welcome.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I am not looking to reengineer.the speaker screens can stay, but the heavy magnets maybe I can eliminate.thats a minor problem.I know I have seen some pictures of 1500s with no trunk.Not much else done.they look fine.But I have short legs,only 30 inch inseam.I am having the seat redone this week-may get it back midweek next.The outer thigh bolsters, big padded hump a driver would lean against, and the chopped off rear end that would go under the trunk are all going to be eliminated, or modified.I put the slipstreamer windshield on today.It was exactly the look. The taillight link for $122 is not bad at all money wise.But what I really want and not sure how to do it is I want a frenched in look. I will just have to do some experimenting.I wish I could get the f6b type mirrors, especially with a built in signal light.Too many mods require much major reworking and then its expensive and usually not executed well by an amateur such as myself.As far as covering the tail the seat does not cover I have several things I will cut down and use one of those. When I was taking screws out,pulling the mirror boots back, so much of that plastic is very brittle.The previous owner had covered a few cracks with some nifty looking fake carbon fiber tape.I will have to source some stock mirror parts most likely.Some of the lower fairing panels, the radiator shroud lower cowl and maybe a few more pieces I was going to remove to show more motor.However it would totally interrupt the shape and flow. I will black many parts out probably. I do not have any stock footpegs.when I took the superheavy markloand boards off which I hate I had a couple wide kurakyn pegs.They are so wide I have trouble getting my toe under the shifter peg. thus improve I did.I had 2 passenger pegs off a 2007 Suzuki c50.I drilled through them with a stepdrill.I then took long 12 mm bolts and ran through them.the mounting blocks from the marklands went back in, the threads exposed beyond the Suzuki pegs screwed right in.If I was going madmax they would be great.It isn't easy when one has many ideas but not the knowhow. Your tips and others here have helped hugely.

·
Magic Moderator
4,436 Posts
You're taller than I am, I'm only 5'4" tall and a 28" inseam. I have to have a trike or otherwise I become the entertainment very quickly with a Goldwing. There are plenty of decent parts on Ebay and salvage yards if you need something small. The plastic parts are made of ABS material.
Here's some pics found in a search. :cam:

Attachments

·
Magic Moderator
4,436 Posts
The original back seat is under the cover, as is the rack for the trunk and it can once again be put in place. That's they way I see this design.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
You're taller than I am, I'm only 5'4" tall and a 28" inseam. I have to have a trike or otherwise I become the entertainment very quickly with a Goldwing. There are plenty of decent parts on Ebay and salvage yards if you need something small. The plastic parts are made of ABS material.
Here's some pics found in a search. :cam:
a few years ago I discovered a company called plastex.amazing how much repair a person can do with their kits.I bought a small one, have not used it.What do you type in on your searches? The picture here is good, but I am not going with a coverup like they did.You will see.I hope by Wednesday to get my seat.that will dictate what I do next.And generate more questions from me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
I would still remove the boards when swapping the conversion. But what do I know? Maybe the owner is a centaur?
the rear boards will be removed on my bike.I don't know if any Goldwing of the era was made without them.And if I can put regular pegs in their place.Someday I might be lucky enough to have a lady passenger. I wont put a passenger grab strap so she will have to hold on to me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
On earlier wings some models had rear pegs, but all the 1500s came with boards (adjustable on the SE)
Should not be hard to make rear pegs to go in the same place. So many aftermarket aluminum ones, finding a fit and style, should not be hard. For just a delete, a small chrome, plastic, or polished aluminum piece can fill in the gap where they used to be.
Did you add some kind of load spreader to replace the grab handle for mounting the seat?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
On earlier wings some models had rear pegs, but all the 1500s came with boards (adjustable on the SE)
Should not be hard to make rear pegs to go in the same place. So many aftermarket aluminum ones, finding a fit and style, should not be hard. For just a delete, a small chrome, plastic, or polished aluminum piece can fill in the gap where they used to be.
Did you add some kind of load spreader to replace the grab handle for mounting the seat?
I will be reinstalling the grab handles.they are needed to get the bike up on the centerstand plus I want to be able to get the seat on and off and not having it slide around.most likely few will appreciate the changes, some guys might say well that's a 1500 stock bike with a smaller seat.I don't care. I have the imagination to radically change the bike.But I don't have the fabricating skills or the checkbook to do it.Plus its my 7th 1500 I have owned so something about them suits my tastes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I was going to order the baglights.the site says gone on vacation. I have other things to do.have you ever installed them, and what do you cut the abs with? Dremel? Instructions are included the link said.Perhaps a paper template for the cutouts also?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts