Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I went to a big truck chrome shop.my head is spinning.so many pieces that could be customized to either my ford f150 or to my Goldwing.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
a few years ago I discovered a company called plastex.amazing how much repair a person can do with their kits.I bought a small one, have not used it.What do you type in on your searches? The picture here is good, but I am not going with a coverup like they did.You will see.I hope by Wednesday to get my seat.that will dictate what I do next.And generate more questions from me.
I basically type in 'Custom Goldwings without trunk' and up come some interesting pics and some not so interesting.
Once I see what a pic I'll be able to gauge the next idea.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
I was going to order the baglights.the site says gone on vacation. I have other things to do.have you ever installed them, and what do you cut the abs with? Dremel? Instructions are included the link said.Perhaps a paper template for the cutouts also?
I used them on trikes where the body allowed the re-installation of the OEM tail lights and that added a second set of turn signals. The additional wire for the turn signal bulb is spliced into the trunk harness turn signal wire.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I answered your question, now it seems to have vanished.I am semipatiently awaiting to get my seat back so I can ride.I got the baglights.they ought to finish up the rear end and the instructions were not helpful.they are the same size and shape as stock.But using a wire from the trunk is a vague line.so the left taillight and the right taillight get the power to actually work from a trunk wire.No mention of color or location.And both right and left go to the same wire? I am not going to paint the bike.Parts I remove to change the belts I will black out.The cover I create to go over what the seat doesn't cover will likely be blacked out also. I love my Suzuki cruiser.But nothing compares to 6 cylinders of power and smoothness.

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
The tail light plug into the stock harness and the lone turn signal wire goes to the trunk harness, if my memory serves me right the orange and the light blue are turn signal wires. Please use a test light to confirm.
The forum is getting improvements so it may be floating around somewhere.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

·
Administrator
58,763 Posts
the wire colors are there, they are just abbreviated.

'GRN' is green
yel is yellow
wht is white
red is, well uh, red :)
blu is blue
blk is black
brn is brown
tan is tan ( light brown ) ( don't think that is used in this diagram.

you can increase the size of that diagram by using the following controls.

Control '+' keys
or, hold down Control and roll the wheel on the mouse

some where, I have a fantastic Colored diagram, created by Erdeniz Umman

found it https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/636674-gl1500-color-wiring-diagram.html

there are several pages of them, read the thread.

he also created a very high definition version:
https://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/attachments/goldwing-technical-forum/288458d1515287776-gl1500-color-wiring-diagram-gl1500-color-diagramsv4.pdf

you can open that into PDF viewer and expand it out immensely and see individual wires.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
well,since the weather is nice I decided to try and connect the lights I got that trike lady told me about.$179.it changes the lower lights from running lights to taillights and turn signals.I removed the old right taillight. it had a white connector.so did the new lights.so unplug old,plug in new.then the problems began.the blue wire on the taillight was not in use, it just doubled bck on itself.the replacement came with a long blue wire waiting to be connected.I assume as ive been told to somewhere in the trunk wiring.I see no blue wire in the trunk wiring. but I installed everything, hoping to figure out where the blue wire went.then the left taillight.It also had a plug in white connector.Only the stock wiring from the left taillight did not.It has bullet type, one wire has a male end that pushes into a female end of the wires from taillight to bike wiring. the new left taillight besides having the white connector has a dark red, one black, a couple green wires.nowhere do I see a black wire, red wire, blue wire on the stock light nor where to put them.Plus it also has a long blue wire, presumably to connect with the trunk lighting.My goal was to keep the trunk off, else none of this would be necessary.So I have a isngle plug and play white connector with no like recipient from the bike as was on the right taillight.I have the mystery blue wires. And now a big red and big black wire to go somewhere.I put the nuts on it to prevent losing or breaking it.I decided to turn the key on.Now I have no taillights, no tag light, the front signals don't blink, and the starter button does nothing. I created an open in the ignition circuit which I assume is due to the switch on hot design of the ignition and starter circuit. I am very perplexed.I don't want the trunk.Now things are so screwed up I wonder if I could even put it back on.And if I did as trike lady had said the new lights make a nice second set of lights.Only now I cant even ride the bike.Input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I basically type in 'Custom Goldwings without trunk' and up come some interesting pics and some not so interesting.
Once I see what a pic I'll be able to gauge the next idea.
I am trying to message you.Please read my latest entry.I am having a big mess with the new lights.nothing matches

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
well,since the weather is nice I decided to try and connect the lights I got that trike lady told me about.$179.it changes the lower lights from running lights to taillights and turn signals.I removed the old right taillight. it had a white connector.so did the new lights.so unplug old,plug in new.then the problems began.the blue wire on the taillight was not in use, it just doubled bck on itself.the replacement came with a long blue wire waiting to be connected.I assume as ive been told to somewhere in the trunk wiring.I see no blue wire in the trunk wiring. but I installed everything, hoping to figure out where the blue wire went.then the left taillight.It also had a plug in white connector.Only the stock wiring from the left taillight did not.It has bullet type, one wire has a male end that pushes into a female end of the wires from taillight to bike wiring. the new left taillight besides having the white connector has a dark red, one black, a couple green wires.nowhere do I see a black wire, red wire, blue wire on the stock light nor where to put them.Plus it also has a long blue wire, presumably to connect with the trunk lighting.My goal was to keep the trunk off, else none of this would be necessary.So I have a isngle plug and play white connector with no like recipient from the bike as was on the right taillight.I have the mystery blue wires. And now a big red and big black wire to go somewhere.I put the nuts on it to prevent losing or breaking it.I decided to turn the key on.Now I have no taillights, no tag light, the front signals don't blink, and the starter button does nothing. I created an open in the ignition circuit which I assume is due to the switch on hot design of the ignition and starter circuit. I am very perplexed.I don't want the trunk.Now things are so screwed up I wonder if I could even put it back on.And if I did as trike lady had said the new lights make a nice second set of lights.Only now I cant even ride the bike.Input will be greatly appreciated.
It is unlikely the wiring on the new lights matches the wiring on the bike. Did they not come with any instructions? The tail light wire on the bike will be brown, the brake light will be green/yellow, the turn signal will be light blue on the right and orange on the left, the ground wire will be green. Without instructions for the lights as to which wire is what nobody can know for sure without testing which is what. You probably blew a fuse by just plugging in that light.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Doubleminded, maybe this can help....?

GL1500 22-Pin Connector​

The C10, 22-pin connector (with 12 wires) is located under the seat (left rear corner). It provides power to all (stock) lights on the rear of the motorcycle.

Blue connector (SE, 1990 - 2000)

White connector (Gold Wing 1988 – 1990) and Aspencade, 1991 - 2000)

Yellow connector (Interstate, 1991 - 1996)

The color codes and functions are as follows:

Wire colors Function

1. Orange Connects to the left rear turn signal (Power from the turn signal switch)

2. Light blue Connects to the right rear turn signal (Power from the turn signal switch)

3. Green/red Connects to the rear brake lights on the saddlebags and trunk. (Power from the stop lights relay)

4. Brown Connects to the rear tail lights on the saddlebags. (Power from the ignition switch)

5. Brown/white Connects to the rear tail lights on the trunk.

Connects to the accessory light control unit (SE only).

Connects to the trunk marker lights (Optional).

(Power from the # 3 tail main relay)

6. Green Ground wire for all lights/relays. (Ground point on the radiator)

7. Light green/yellow Connects to the parking diode. (Power from the 10-amp parking fuse)

8. Blue/black Connects to the turn signal relay. (Comes from the turn signal cancel control unit)

9. White/green Connects to the turn signal relay. (Comes from the turn signal cancel control unit)

10. Gray Connects to the turn signal relay (Power to the turn signal switch)

11. Light green/black Connects to the hazard relay (Power from the 10-amp acc. fuse)

12. Pink/white Connects to the hazard relay. (Power to the Hazard switch)

·
Magic Moderator
4,482 Posts
I am trying to message you.Please read my latest entry.I am having a big mess with the new lights.nothing matches
When I installed these lights on trikes years ago they were 'Plug and Play', the extra wire went to the turn signal wire under the top box. On a trike the top box remains in place. That has me wondering, are all the lights necessary for a complete circuit?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Doubleminded, maybe this can help....?

GL1500 22-Pin Connector​

The C10, 22-pin connector (with 12 wires) is located under the seat (left rear corner). It provides power to all (stock) lights on the rear of the motorcycle.

Blue connector (SE, 1990 - 2000)

White connector (Gold Wing 1988 – 1990) and Aspencade, 1991 - 2000)

Yellow connector (Interstate, 1991 - 1996)

The color codes and functions are as follows:

Wire colors Function

1. Orange Connects to the left rear turn signal (Power from the turn signal switch)

2. Light blue Connects to the right rear turn signal (Power from the turn signal switch)

3. Green/red Connects to the rear brake lights on the saddlebags and trunk. (Power from the stop lights relay)

4. Brown Connects to the rear tail lights on the saddlebags. (Power from the ignition switch)

5. Brown/white Connects to the rear tail lights on the trunk.

Connects to the accessory light control unit (SE only).

Connects to the trunk marker lights (Optional).

(Power from the # 3 tail main relay)

6. Green Ground wire for all lights/relays. (Ground point on the radiator)

7. Light green/yellow Connects to the parking diode. (Power from the 10-amp parking fuse)

8. Blue/black Connects to the turn signal relay. (Comes from the turn signal cancel control unit)

9. White/green Connects to the turn signal relay. (Comes from the turn signal cancel control unit)

10. Gray Connects to the turn signal relay (Power to the turn signal switch)

11. Light green/black Connects to the hazard relay (Power from the 10-amp acc. fuse)

12. Pink/white Connects to the hazard relay. (Power to the Hazard switch)
wow.fantastic.thanks a million

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
It is unlikely the wiring on the new lights matches the wiring on the bike. Did they not come with any instructions? The tail light wire on the bike will be brown, the brake light will be green/yellow, the turn signal will be light blue on the right and orange on the left, the ground wire will be green. Without instructions for the lights as to which wire is what nobody can know for sure without testing which is what. You probably blew a fuse by just plugging in that light.
heres the instructions: remove acron nuts,disconnect tailight wiring from connectors.put the new lights in place.recpmmect connectors.hook blue wire to a wire from trunk, even adds it usually is black.thats it.way unhelpful.$179 I expect more than that.I hooked the stock bag lights back up.now the bike starts and runs.makes no sense.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
D bohrer gave me great info.Thanks you both so much.I appreciate it.The new lights one would think would either have an identical connector and color scheme as the old lights, with the only exception being the additional blue wire.Not so.

·
Administrator
25,372 Posts
heres the instructions: remove acron nuts,disconnect tailight wiring from connectors.put the new lights in place.recpmmect connectors.hook blue wire to a wire from trunk, even adds it usually is black.thats it.way unhelpful.$179 I expect more than that.I hooked the stock bag lights back up.now the bike starts and runs.makes no sense.
If you have high expectations from aftermarket parts you are going to be disappointed. You are going to have to get help from someone who knows electrical systems.

81 - 100 of 108 Posts