Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heading down street tonight, everything normal, all of a sudden complete shut down. No lights of any kind, nothing works...pull over somehow avoiding getting run over, get into a parking lot. All fuses ok, Fuseable links (55amp and 65amp under seat both ok) battery appears to be ok.. Not sure what is causing this, had it trailered to a nearby buddies place for the night. Could this be a #3 relay problem? Or could the 30 amp fuse by the battery cause this problem also? thanks for any help you guys can give...going to work on the bike in the morning....thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
The main fuse is where I would look first. It doesn't seem likely to be a bank angle sensor issue, usually the dash lights and instruments and most other electrics stay on when the BA sensor shuts the engine down.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which main fuse are you referring to? the 55amp one right next to the battery or the 30 amp one?...this really sucks not being able to walk outside and check stuff or work on it...if i cant figure it out tomorrow during the day, im bringin it home tomorrow evening so i can work on it at my leisure....

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I have read on this site in the past about the dog bone fuse cracking (Forward of the battery) and they need examining closely for any faults.

·
Pwhoever
3,341 Posts
Hey Mark, that sucks... I would guess that it probably isn't the #3 relay. A few things wouldn't work like the fuel gauge, temp gauge, taillights, but the bike would still run and could still be started. I would take a look at either the battery or the dogbone fuse like was mentioned. If you can't find a replacement fuse, and you have the stock alternator, you could always substitute a 50A one like THIS ONE I have a compufire and didn't like using dogbone fuses so I used a 70A fuse like that one on mine. You just have to cut a hole in the fuse cover. And as far as the battery, I had a similar incident after installing my compufire. My bike ran fine the first day after putting it in. However the next day, it died and the bike went completely dead. No lights, no starter, nothing. With a voltmeter attached and the bike off, it had over 12V of power but as soon as I turned the ignition on, it went dead. It turns out that there was at least one bad cell in the battery. It would still test as normal at the store and I had to go to 2 stores before I could convince them to replace the battery under warranty. But once the new battery was installed, the bike fired right up and ran fine.

I can't remember, do you have a voltage meter on the bike and if so, did you notice anything unusual prior to it dying out?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
+3 on the Dogbone fuse.

Either way let us know what it was when you find out.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
Don't overlook the ignition wires, Mark. Sometimes a good bump will set them into a bit of a frenzy. Give them a good jiggle if you can't find the source of your problem elsewhere.

·
Administrator
27,933 Posts
The dogbone fuse by the battery is only to the alternator, the 30 amp on the starter relay powers all the electrical system. The dogbone under the seat is for the reverse system.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
A lot of issues like this end up being a poor terminal connection on the battery, relay, ground cable chassis/engine connection. Wiggle the relay that holds the main fuse and the connector from it...could be a poor connection inside the relay itself.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it isnt the dogbone fuse by the battery, i switched it out in parking lot last night while waiting for ride. Dusty i will check the ignition connections. Dave0430 first thing im gonna check is that 30amp fuse. Then next the battery...but im betting on the fuse, when we hooked up jumper cables to it off a jumper box nothing got power, if it was the battery we would have at least gotten power then. I almost have to have a blown fuse or link somewhere then..Mike, that sucks new alternator then battery goes....thanks guys!!

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i also have another starter relay if need be if that is the case i bought last yr when i thought that was cause of reverse not working...im hoping its the 30amp fuse though..will know within couple hrs if that is what the problem was...

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well it was 30amp fuse on relay....not sure if battery is toast gonna check it today ..thanks Dave and to everyone who posted!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.