Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 93 1500 SE. Last week i started the bike, and the LCD display for the radio/clock is blank. the lights for cruise set and low fuel that should come on briefly when the bike is started do not come on.

I rode the bike, and noticed the air shocks will not raise/lower pressure. The turn signals no longer auto cancel, and though the cruise on light is lit, the cruise won't set.

The dealer thinks replacing the LCD for the radio/clock will fix all of the problems, at a cost of $800 with labor. Does anyone know if all of these issues can be linked to the LCD Display? I'm hesitant to spend $800 and not have that fix the problems.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi the lcd does not feed any of the systems you dont say if you cheqed the fuses or the relays have you done this

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I checked all fuses, and the dealer checked all fuses and relays. They are all fine

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just for a hoot, try wriggling the wires in front of the steering head, that run up underneath the ignition. :baffled:

Dusty

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

has to be a bad conection some were if you remove the right hand lower fairing just abouve the fan is all the conections for the dash consolealso recheck the third fuse up its a 15 amp that powers the fuel guage andthe dash lights ect

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
imported post

How far did you ride the bike??
This is a fairly common problem in the damp winter weather.
Mine works fine in the summer but I have exactly the same problems as you as soon the weather turns colder/damper.It normally springs into life after about 10 or 15 mins riding.
If you do a search on here you will find several threads on this.
Favourite causes are furred up connections at the back of the clock/display,poor connections in the loom behind the right-hand false tank panel,or the circuit board in the LCD display itself (one member on here took his out and cleaned it and cured the problem.
I have never bothered with mine just learned to live with it.

Regards Steve

PS found post by pwhoever in this thread

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=53230&forum_id=1&highlight=blank+lcd

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

The problem I described and the fix was mostly an issue with the 96 and 97 models. It would only occur when it was damp outside or when there was high humidity. However, your symptoms are very similar to the problems I had. I seem to remember the on board air compressor not working also when the screen was blank but am not cetain on this. I would have to go out riding for several miles and the breeze through the fairing would dry the circuit board out. At that point the idiot lights on the dash (low fuel, etc...) would all flash on for a second and the LCD would start working. I would always have to reset the clock to the current time but everything would work after that. I am not sure about the cruise not working when the screen was blank because around town, I rarely would use it and I don't recall if the auto cancel on the turn signals was out. That might be a different issue. If all the other tips do not work, try following the link above provided by stevehmagentase and clean the circuit board. It is not realy difficult, but it is time consuming.
Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I just took a 400 mile ride yesterday afternoon and today, and nothing changed. The weather here was in the 70's today. I'm going to try taking the LCD out and cleaning the connections tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the imput!

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Your issue definitely sounds different than moisture on the circuit board. That would usually clear up after several miles of driving. Checking and cleaning the connectors sounds like the best route to go on this. I would also suggest putting some dielectric grease into all the connectors to help seal them after cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.