Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I went out for a short (around 15-20 miles) run earlier, as my "project" '93 Aspy is going to be stripped for a full paint job, and I wanted also to do the oil and filter before the tear down. All good, in fact great (rode her pretty hard) until I noticed toward the end of the run that the temp gauge had very quickly risen to just below the "normal" area, which has always been around the centre"ish" area on previous runs (never ridden hard tho'until happy with the bike). The temp gauge never went further than that though. When I got home, checked the fans, they were running and the coolant level is fine. Engine (to me) sounds good, and I haven't ever had the gauge go that high on my '84 GL1200...is/are there something(s) I should check either before or during the (all panels off) re-paint, or, am I perhaps being a bit...well....paranoid?... :? Oh, if it's important the air temp is probably around 25-28degs C.
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Sounds fairly normal ... depending on what "quickly risen to just below the "normal area" " means.

The fact that your fans are running is a good sign. When was the last time the coolant was changed? If it hasn't been changed out in the past 2 years, it's time to change it out and install some silicate free coolant. I prefer the premixed stuff. If you get the full strengthstuff, dilute it with distilled water, not tap water.Won't hurt to use some rad flush (follow directions) after you drop the old coolant and then install thefresh stuff after you have flushed the rad flush out at least three times. You might want to install a new radiator cap, just in case the one on there now isn't holding pressure. Also, ... make sure there aren't any obstructions covering/behind the rads (leaves/paper/mouse nest etc) and that the rad 'fins' aren't all bent over.

When I'm out cruising in those temps, my temp gauge reads between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way to the 2nd white line. It'll raise up to between 1/2 and 3/4 when stopped in traffic on a hot day, but soon settles down in 2 -3 minutesafter I get moving on the highway again.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Dusty boots, thanks for that, yeah I wondered wot the hell I meant when I re-read the post too..!!:?, however just been back up to the workshop ('bout an hour or so later)and this is where the fans came on since my previous ride, although the gauge on the previous ride got up to slightly below the white line towards the red 'bit".. Hopefully the image will help, as for the coolant I have relaced once after flushing both radiators and hoses etc during reassembly, refilled with premixed (Aussie) stuff, Koala Pee or something I think it said on the container..??...:D

Attachments

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Ya .... that is running a littlebit on the high side. My fans kick on about the width of the needle lower than what yours is showing in that photo. Are you sure you 'burped' that rads properly, after you filled them, getting all the air out?

Next guess would be the rad cap and then the thermostat would be the last to try, only because it's a bit of a job to get at and change.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Ok then, thanks Dusty, perhaps I will look to change (and burp) the coolant before final (hopefully) assembly after painting, also for peace of mind do the radiator cap and t/stat also, both I hope available on eBay?......, this bike hasn't been running for around 8 years so I do expect little (hopefully only LITTLE..!!) issues to arise.............
Many thanks again,
Peter.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Peter
Be sure to check that 'Koala Pee' is 'silicate free' anti freeze, before you put more in or change it. That is a must do or you put your water pump bearings and seals in jeopardy of catastrophic failure. Also look at your water pump if it's covered with oil or has dampness at the weep hole on the bottom of it.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

1 more possible thing it could be, isthe water pump siezed. When you go to 'burp' the rads, if the coolant doesn't bubble and the level drop lower in the rad after running for a couple of minutes, than either the pump is siezed, or the t-stat isn't opening/opening fully. After 8 years of sitting around, could be anyone of those. :?

Also ... check to make sure that those pesky little mice didn't build a nest in the exhaust pipes. It's been know to happen. :laughing:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Also ... check to make sure that those pesky little mice didn't build a nest in the exhaust pipes. It's been know to happen. :laughing:

Do they have mices in Kiwi Land? I thought it was just the over grown ones that run in front of the bikes on their hind feets over there!

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi guys, ya know interestingly enough, it doesn't mention ANYTHING at all about my Koala Pee (coolant) being silicate free....so perhaps it's not,....all a bit vague really, "O.A.T Corrosion Inhibitor", and contains 150gm/L ethylene glycol...still no mention of "Silicate" (or free) anywhere...could this be (or could be, "down the track") some of the problem? Have emailed the manufacturer to ask, but wouldn't normally expect an answer. While I've got the covers off I'll take another look at the water pump, I do recall it looking initially like the image:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

and after cleaning up:
newday777; Yup we have mices and Kiwis here, mices are more likely to do some damage I guess, and Kiwis, well, hate to say it ya don't really know wot they do 'cos they only come out at night..!!

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.