Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi guys, my project GL1500 windscreen is so close to not being replaced before I paint the entire bike, I am tempted to ask this question.......the overall condition of the screen is good, but the lacquer on both sides of the screen has patches either scratched or small areas just not there. I don't mind taking the time to do so, but can the lacquer be removed? and with what product?....it is the original screen and I do understand that with the surface(s) removed, I would need to care for the screen more.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

It isn't lacquer or a film. When they heat mould the screens, the outer surfaces become harder. Eventually it can peel. I can't say if the whole lot will peel off, I guess you can try but some spots might not come off.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks choppas, I didn't realise that that was the case, guess I imagined it was some sort of scratch "protectant" or there to strengthen the screen....perhaps my best bet is to just clean it up as best as possible, with the eventual aim of replacement.
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Try using one of the headlight lens restoring kitsmay work pretty well since both use same process when they were made.

And had same problem On an old snowmobile I used wet dry sand paper starting at 800 then 1000 and polished at 2000 came out nice

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

The scratch resistant film will peel off... I unintentionally pulled part of mine off with very sticky tape... if there some loose ends and you want to try peeling it all off, I would probably try something very sticky.. like duct tape.. near/over those loose parts and see what it does.. it is very thin.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for those suggestions, sadly one of the missing "patches" is pretty much in my line of vision, so am keen to improve without replacement if possible.
Couple of questions tho: sle104, did you do this "by hand" or use something like a palm sander or similar?....and sandiegobrass, did you do all of your screen and was it successful?
Many thanks again,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

Groutby, I had the same problem, compounded by winshield retaining screws that are frozen so I couldn't replace it if I wanted to. I removed the film using Novus polish and elbow grease. Then I used the finer grades of Novus to finish the surface. It came out like new, if I do say so myself. Now all I do is freshen it up with Pledge and the clarity is superb. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Hey John that sounds really positive, I am familiar with Pledge (here in NZ), and Novus (not familiar with it)plastic polish IS available...so I will get all three products to get the initial finish and keep looking good with Pledge if thats your recommendation?..sounds good..!
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

groutby wrote:
....and sandiegobrass, did you do all of your screen and was it successful?
No I didn't do all of it..... the post was just to indicate that it was a film and it will peel off... the patch on my windshield was made by mistake when trying to remove some military parking stickers that were no longer required... there is now a patch on the lower part of my windshield with the film missing.. not really noticeable without close inspection..

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thank you sandiegobrass, I will attempt a "refurbishment" of the screen and hope all goes well,
Many thanks,
Peter.

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

With the film peeled off, you will find the screen scratches much easier. But at least you will get a bit more life out of it.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Hummer5205
That link doesn't work.

·
751 Posts
imported post

now try the other link I put down as it works !

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

yup it works
Good for cleaning but not to get off the film.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

Yes it will come off with a good tape and I used McQuires plactic cleaner polish from walmart. did it over 3 years ago and still look good.

The other post had a good write up and I lost it..

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
imported post

Yes it will come off with a good tape and I used McQuires plactic cleaner polish from walmart. did it over 3 years ago and still look good.

The other post had a good write up and I lost it..

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

One pushy on the send now please, one pushy. Remember the forum is in Ireland across the pond. It takes a moment to flash across and back to ya!:action:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.