Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to upgrade from my 84 GL 1200 to a 93 GL 1500. What should I look for. The one i am looking at has 93K

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If it has floorboards and heel/toe shifter(and sometimes the stock shifter too) , be forwarned, the pre 97 transmissions are subject to loosing 4th gear if the PO left their foot on the shifter between shifts which bends the weak fork and wears the 4th gear. It will sound like a box of rocks in 1,2&3rd gears to start then 4th will start popping out of gear. You can ride it skipping 4th into 5th for some time without any more damage. The repair requires splitting the cases or getting a replacement 97-2000 motor.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Get the front wheel 4 to six inches lower than the rear and listen for any clicking sound. Then turn the bike around, so the rear wheel is higher and listen again. I don't remember for sure, but one way will make the clicking sound and the other way the sound goes away.
Doesn't seem to matter whether the bike is in gear or not, as long as it isn't in 4th or 5th.

If you get a clicking sound, the fourth gear shifter is bad!

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Front end lower is when it makes the noise if 4th is going out.
Pointed downhill in neutral and maybe rev a couple times a little to help the cog slide forward if it's going to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.