Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked around and didn't see anything similar so apologies if this has been posted before. I had an issue where the fuse on the top of my starter solenoid melted. It was my fault and I have wired a new one in with no melting or any smoking at all. My issue is, when I turn the key, I have electrical. All the lights come on, radio works, but when I push the start button, I get one click and the lights dim from the drain on the battery. I figured the starter fried as well but I tried the solenoid jump with a screwdriver and it works but, the starter keeps spinning after I remove the screw driver from the terminals. The bike will start, but you can hear the starter still spinning. So, my one million dollar question is, would it still be a bad starter, or is my switch bad, or possibly something else? First time I have ever had anything like this happen.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
I would look for wires melted to gether in the harness connected to the solenoid. Also possibly the solenoid is sticking. You do know the headlight switch off when you push the start button?

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a brand new harness and all wires look good. That was one of my first thoughts that it was still getting hot. I did not check to see if the headlight went out when I press the start button. The dash lights all stayed on but dimmed a little bit from the draw in the battery. The 30 amp fuse on the solenoid did not pop either. We are out for dinner so ill check the headlight when I get home.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
998 Posts
Start it with the screwdriver then give the starter solenoid a good "Rap" with the handle of the screwdriver.. If the starter stops spinning - replace the starter solenoid.

Reactions: Saddlemen

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, ill try that as well. It is a brand new solenoid. But anything can happen. If this helps, I did have an issue with my reverse. When I turned the lever then pressed the start button, it would move back a little bit then stop. Release the start button and press again and it would repeat. I saw a post in here it may be the starter or the button itself. Just never had the starter keep spinning like I am holding the button in.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
998 Posts

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. That's the issue I had, but I did the quick press and release of the start button and it moved back good, but on the next stop, that's where I lost all electronics and found the melted fuse on the solenoid.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Its a brand new harness and all wires look good. That was one of my first thoughts that it was still getting hot. I did not check to see if the headlight went out when I press the start button. The dash lights all stayed on but dimmed a little bit from the draw in the battery. The 30 amp fuse on the solenoid did not pop either. We are out for dinner so ill check the headlight when I get home.
It doesn't matter that the headlight goes off, I was just stating that it is a fact it is supposed to, not related to the issue at hand.

Reactions: Trompthar

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks DaveO. The headlight does go off when I push the start button. I've checked a few more things and I am getting a click in the left back where the relays are when I do push it. Relay A is not clicking at all. Looks like I need to check the actual wiring and get an OEM solenoid/relay as this new 3rd party may be bad.

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
Thanks DaveO. The headlight does go off when I push the start button. I've checked a few more things and I am getting a click in the left back where the relays are when I do push it. Relay A is not clicking at all. Looks like I need to check the actual wiring and get an OEM solenoid/relay as this new 3rd party may be bad.
The click you hear is the headlight relay clicking off to give all the battery power to the starter. Aftermarket starter relays are notoriously wired different from OEM, they will ususally work if you switch the wires to the proper places but cause melted wires if you don't sometimes.

·
Registered
'96 GL1500A
5 Posts
You can get relays at goldwingdocs.com I don't think they make the OEM Relays for the 1500 anymore & if you find them they are expensive. I bought a half dozen of them cheap to carry.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500A
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As luck would have it, I didn't burn out the solenoid that was on it. Just melted the fuse to the wiring harness. I swapped out the new solenoid with the old and she cranked right up with the start button and starter stops when I release rhe button. Thank you to all who replied. Great learning experience here. Greatly appreciated!!!!

·
Administrator
27,929 Posts
The OEM solenoids seldom fail, it's usually something else that causes someone to change it only to find out it wasn't the problem.

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 SE
998 Posts
Trompthar, Thank you for the Conclusion ! It's nice to know you fixed it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts