Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all, been a while since I was here because the bike has been working so well. Can I pick your brains for a moment? Thanks!

I developed the (dreaded) "fourth gear' transmissionissue in my 93 GL1500A, and a friend bought a 95 GL1500A engine from ebay and shipped it to me. Turned out is was a 1988 engine block, not 1995 as suggested on ebay.The 88 has different water plumbing, but I couldn't see anymajor or minor diffences in the blocks themselves, soin order to use the 88 block I moved ALL the 93 tubing and water pipes and thermostat housing and manifoldsand of course the 93 water pump with it's two hoses sticking out the front.

I keep blowing O-rings up top. The O-rings on water pipes at base of the thermostat housing have blown twice and I am leaking again today.And it seems to blow BEFORE the engine gets to operating temp - as in before the thermostat opens. COULD IT BE there is too much water pressure? Was the 1988 pump rotating at a different speed than the 1993 pump?

Thanks for the insights!

Larry

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
imported post

Goldwing water pumps are not high pressure pumps and don't run at enough pressure to blow o-rings. Are we talking about the o-rings on the crossover pipes on top of the engine? Maybe they are not in tight enough, or the whole assembly from left to right manifold where the pipes end isn't tight enough or is a bit different (shorter) on the 93 models, and causing leaks.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I thank you for your response. Anyone else have additional input? Yes indeed, I am talking about the chrome water pipes on top of the engine. First time it happened was ten seconds after engine start and blew the left side pipe o-ring at the base of the thermostat housing. Second time it took 20 seconds andblew the right side at the base of the thermostat housing. The o-rings on the chrome pipes actually became unseated and pooched out past the seat. I am a certified FAA mechanic, so my training told me that these o-ring failures were becauseI had failed to install them correctly. So the third time I assembled the cooling system, I examined carefully every detail and noticed that the pipes and their o-rings on both ends are fully seated when the bolt holes line up, so little chance for error there. I took a chance and installed the new o-rings with a thin layer of Blue RTV and felt confident this timethat I had installed them with no damage to the o-rings.

Last night I submitted my forum request before characterizing the third leak. That may have been an over-reaction on my part. Last night late I began to analyze: opened the radiator cap and surprize! There was coolant still in my radiator. Opened the reserve tank and it was (for all practical purposes) empty. I believe this to be a normal system function. So to check for gravity leaks, I filled each to the brim and left the caps off to see if either would leak overnight. This morning each was down about the same, maybe a half-inch, so I attribute that to temperature AS there was NO leak evident on the floor.

I will continue to work the issue this afternoon... riding to church and back will give more data points. If more on-the-floor leaks, I will start pulling panels and fans and visually look for the leak - that will be Monday. I'll drop a note to the forum when I see the failure.

Larry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.