Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 93 gl1500se with 80000 miles. after it warms up idle speed goes up and down also sometimes when leaveing a stop it seems to drop 1 or more cyl,but will come out of it if reved.i am an experienced m/c mec. and own my own shop.i have rb carbs replaced plugs and wires.replaced belts and fuel filter.any ideas out there? thanks

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Vacuum leaks can sometimes cause up and down idle.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Surging idle is a symptom of lean carbs and/or vacuum leaks. Carb sync should already have been done. Pull plugs and check for clues.

A well tuned 1500 should smoothly (occasional gallop) idle down to at least 450-600 RPM using the idle adjust control before it dies out from lack of air/fuel mix.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Agree. Sounds like a possible vacuum leak. Also, there are several sensor things (I have been up all night sorry for the technical term) that adjust the carbs for altitude and temp, etc. If you find no vacuum leak you might test those.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Agree. Sounds like a possible vacuum leak. Also, there are several sensor things (I have been up all night sorry for the technical term) that adjust the carbs for altitude and temp, etc. If you find no vacuum leak you might test those.
+1

I have read that some mess with those sensors to mask carb/driveability concerns. What you get in return is poor fuel economy.:sadguy: I believe they are located in the fairing.

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
I own a 93 gl1500se with 80000 miles. after it warms up idle speed goes up and down also sometimes when leaveing a stop it seems to drop 1 or more cyl,but will come out of it if reved.i am an experienced m/c mec. and own my own shop.i have rb carbs replaced plugs and wires.replaced belts and fuel filter.any ideas out there? thanks
Hi, jdz581, I just got to read this; when this problem arises, normally is a small tube ( 5/32 ID) that connects the left manifold to the right one, and from there then goes to the engine control unit. When this tube is perforated ( which is normal to happen due to heat and high vacuum) the engine control unit doesn't receive the necessary vacuum to operate properly, therefore the up/down of the idle. This tube is located bellow the carbs, under a rubber matt that covers the manifolds. To get there you must take the carbs out, and lift the rubber at the rear of the intake. If you look at the parts manual, under the tubes section, you'll see the tube numbered #14, it has a “J” shape. Hope this helps.
Mario

·
Registered
173 Posts
"Sick" Im glad i own a old one without all that fancy stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.