Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for help/Suggestions/directions on a 93 Goldwing. Purchased this bike recently which had been sitting for two years. Told there was a neutral switch problem.
Got it home......Put a battery on it.
While going over the bike, found a mouse nest on top of the block, below the air filter.
Cleaned this out, inspect the wires, everything looked intact.
Managed to get the neutral switch light on
Lots of spark while cranking....no fire
Opened it up to treat carbs with cleaner......found fuel pump not working
Managed to redirect power to fuel pump and get it working.
Carb cleaner worked and she fired up and ran.
Told tank was empty and that the seller had put 91 in it to fire it up (no luck on his part).
To be certain, drained the tank, added 91 and seafoam.
Solenoid replaced, timing belts replaced, new battery installed, oil change
Put her back together and nothing happened when hitting the starter.
Played with reverse, clutch, etc. starter would not kick in....
Tore it apart again to check wires, everything seems fine......
Radio has power, accessories work (Horn lights, emergency flashers, clock). however it will not turn over.
Tried playing with the reverse switch, used deep clean
Checked all fuses, including 30 amp, dogbone, relay switches.....all good.
I don't know where to go next on this problem.
Appreciate any guidance.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Check the kill switch circuit but first, make sure it's not just a dirty start button.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
First welcome to the best Goldwing Forum,
Next, did you know the fuel pump only runs when the engine is either running ot turning with the starter? That is a safety feature,
The circuitry for the starter is somewhat complex on bikes with reverse. There are 2 starter solenoids. Power flows from the start button through the safety switches like neutral and sidestand etc. to the first solenoid (relay) to engage it. That is relay "A." If all is well relay "A" will engage sending power to engage rela"B" which when engaged powers the starter.

Relay "A" is the one closest to the battery while "B"is closer to the starter. Does relay "A" click when you try to start the bike. If no click either you have and issue with the safety switches or start switch before relay "A" or the relay is bad.If relay A clicks you must have power on both battery cable posts or the relay is probably bad.

If you find relay B and jump across the 2 battery cable terminals the starter should engage if the starter and cable connections are all good. Make sure the bike is in neutral so it doesn't run away!

This seems like a good place to stop for now. Check those things and get back. Someone will give you more info going forward if this is not enough to find the culprit. The most common issue is either the safety switched or the relay "A.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Check the kill switch circuit but first, make sure it's not just a dirty start button.
Thanks Dennis! I will, however I'm not getting a neutral light and pulling in the clutch handle does not do anything nor does engaging or disengaging reverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First welcome to the best Goldwing Forum,
Next, did you know the fuel pump only runs when the engine is either running ot turning with the starter? That is a safety feature,
The circuitry for the starter is somewhat complex on bikes with reverse. There are 2 starter solenoids. Power flows from the start button through the safety switches like neutral and sidestand etc. to the first solenoid (relay) to engage it. That is relay "A." If all is well relay "A" will engage sending power to engage rela"B" which when engaged powers the starter.

Relay "A" is the one closest to the battery while "B"is closer to the starter. Does relay "A" click when you try to start the bike. If no click either you have and issue with the safety switches or start switch before relay "A" or the relay is bad.If relay A clicks you must have power on both battery cable posts or the relay is probably bad.

If you find relay B and jump across the 2 battery cable terminals the starter should engage if the starter and cable connections are all good. Make sure the bike is in neutral so it doesn't run away!

This seems like a good place to stop for now. Check those things and get back. Someone will give you more info going forward if this is not enough to find the culprit. The most common issue is either the safety switched or the relay "A.
Thanks Mike, I'll give this a try and report back!

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
If you used an aftermarket starter relay it is probably not wired the same as the original.

·
Registered
201 Posts
No neutral light is probably preventing it. Same thing for Reverse. Neither will work.
Have you checked all fuses with a test light?

Be SURE its in neutral before jumping the sonenoid.

David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No neutral light is probably preventing it. Same thing for Reverse. Neither will work.

David
I checked all fuses with a multimeter.....

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If the bike won't start in neutral try pulling in the clutch and try to start it. I bet you already did that but worth mentioning. The clutch in goes around the neutral switch if all is well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
With a mouse nest you get nibbling of insulation and corrosive pee either or both could destroy wires in block connectors or give a broken wire.
I think you will have to methodically follow the neutral wire to see if voltage dissapears

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
Told tank was empty and that the seller had put 91 in it to fire it up (no luck on his part).
To be certain, drained the tank, added 91 and seafoam.
Just a comment on fuel Octane, all Goldwings, regardless of year model, only need, and are spec'd out at 87 Octane.

A higher Octane does not help the engine run, in fact it will leave carbon deposits on the internal working parts: valves/pistons/cylinders.

Goldwings do NOT have a high enough compression ratio to require, or need 91 Octane.

I always get the Lowest Octane on the pump, it is correct for the Elevation level you are at when you fill up....

91 Octane will leave your Goldwing starving for power at 14,000 feet elevation.
85 Octane will burn easier at those elevations, so put the extra money back in your wallet.

. ( the Fuel Injected models can handle higher octanes a bit better, but do NOT need it )

·
Registered
201 Posts
33 mpg with 93 octane
37 mpg with 87.

This is a 99 carburated 1500

I did the test when I was banging down the thruway tankful after tank full.

David

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,169 Posts
While going over the bike, found a mouse nest on top of the block, below the air filter.
Cleaned this out, inspect the wires, everything looked intact.
Managed to get the neutral switch light on
Lots of spark while cranking....no fire

Opened it up to treat carbs with cleaner......found fuel pump not working
Managed to redirect power to fuel pump and get it working.
In your first post you say you had spark and neutral light at first.

What did you do after that?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
61,286 Posts
33 mpg with 93 octane
37 mpg with 87.

This is a 99 carburated 1500

I did the test when I was banging down the thruway tankful after tank full.

David
Your comment there just verifies what most of our riders know.....
I have a spreadsheet that I kept religiously for a long time on a '98SE

Over the span of a full year, the '98SE averaged just slightly less than 33 mpg.

There were situations where it would do better than 45 mpg, and times when it did good to make 22 mpg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In your first post you say you had spark and neutral light at first.

What did you do after that?
Getting a neutral was difficult. Several attempts with shifter and clutch and reverse and it finally came on. Lots of spark....no fire. Treated carbs with carb cleaner.. finally got her to fire and run for a bit.

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
Getting a neutral was difficult. Several attempts with shifter and clutch and reverse and it finally came on. Lots of spark....no fire. Treated carbs with carb cleaner.. finally got her to fire and run for a bit.
If moving the reverse lever got the light on eventually you probably need to clean or adjust the reverse lever switch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

David
Hi David, I went over every fuse with a multimeter, testing both sides to be certain.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts