Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

[align=right]hi, love the site. ive looked over the forums and they have helped me change my timing belt and shifter seal. bear to get to but simple swap out (used an awl) . on to the next leak. my 1500 has lots of miles and i got it cheap enough to work on but im stumped at this rear end leak..... only had bike a short time so im learning about its problems as i go......i noticed the oil leaking onto the rear tire on the right side,.... ive removed the bag on right side... its hard to tell if its the shock or the seal at the driveshaft to rear drive connection. lots of fresh and old oil in this area....when ifirst got under the bike and started cleaning the oil i could see some fresh RED-oil on the rear-drive drain bolt , now that is the lowest point but the oil is red. is the shock oil red? it looks like 80w gear oil im afraid........ive cleaned the area, best i can. i have ran the bike on the stand in 1-2 gear but i couldnt get it to leak. ive bounced on the bike working the shocks but still cant tell. the only other clue's is some of this oil was on the back side of bag and some even got in the bag. can a shock leak do that ? .......i cantget the chrome oil cap off the rear-drive, i dont want to break it . doesnt it just pull out ? i didnt think they were threaded. ................i been working on it up untill i started this post so im still trying to get it to leak while it apart.... long shot im sure but maybe the last guy put in to much gear oil and it leaking out somehow. ...........im up to the challenge ive replaced a shifter seal and the timing belts and tensioners so im not afraid topull the rear-end out if i have to, but only if i have to. any help will best so much appreciated. please excuse my post style , im a virgin here on steve saunders forum so be gentle its my first.[/align]

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
imported post

ok the chrome cap is the relief valve , no i dont have the manual. i did the belt from a killer disription i found at goldwingtech.info/timinibelts/timingbelt.htm

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the World's Greatest Goldwing Site '93 Interstate guy!:waving::waving:

It's not too hard to tell the difference in the oils used in the rear drive and the rear shocks. The rear drive oil is 80-90W gear oil and usually smells strongly of sulphur. It's not usually red though I suppose some brands can be. The rear shock oil is lighter stuff much like ATF which is often used in the shocks. The quickest check for the shocks is to peel back the rubber boot and look for oil inside. There shouldn't be any oil in the boot so if you find some that shock needs a new seal. If the problem is in the rear drive it's not a very difficult job to replace all the seals. If the rear drive is the suspect it requires removing the rear wheel and the three bolts that hold the rear drive on the swing arm, then the drive just pulls out along with the drive shaft and u-joint. A service manual will show you how to disassemble the unit and put it back together along with replacing the seals.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

after further tinkering i do think its the shock. i checked the rear drive oil level to make sure there wasnt to much, seems fine but its not the same red oil. :) im happy thats it (i think) im ordering shock seals. my bike doesnt have the extra line's for air-ride so thats a breeze. my bike is a black interstate and looks great but with 139000 miles on it, there will be alot of maintance. thanks again, site was a big help - im hooked

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello .

I hope you soon have the leak fixed up and your back on the road again . Ride often and vist here when you can .

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,323 Posts
imported post

First, welcome. :waving:

Second, that's not a lot of miles on a 'Wing, so routine maintenance should suffice. :action:

Third, service manual is the repair manual. :?

Let us know how you make out with those shocks. It's a job I'm going to have to do very soon and I'm not looking forward to it.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Red oil will be leaking from the shock. There are some posts on the forum showing how to replace the seal and you won't find that info in the workshop manual. Have a browse of the Reference forum, I think the thread you need is in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.