·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

When I see the words "as is" in an ad it usually means there is someting wrong with it. He doesn't describe the condition. If you live near by the seller then go look at it.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

He looks pretty bummed about having to sell it

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

da_bull wrote:
He looks pretty bummed about having to sell it
Yeah, my guess is he's one of the casualties of our economy. :(

someting wrong with it. He doesn't describe the condition. If you live near by the seller then go look at it.[/quote]
I have no reason to go look at it. I simply posted it as a courtesy to the forum. When a seller makes the statement that they "desperately need to sell", that means that there is usually a very good chance for a big discount over asking price. If there is a problem to be dealt with, then the price drops even more. If a member of the forum is seriously interested in it and they don't live in the area, then I would gladly go take a look at it for them, but I'm not in the market myself.

John

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

John, I wasn't implying that you go look at it. I meant if anyone was interested in it. Having bought and sold over 50 vehicles in my lifetime I have seen all kinds of ads. Craigslist is the last place I would go to sell MY bike. Maybe it's a great deal, I am just skeptical about it! Why would you put "as is" in a ad? Everyone knows when you buy from a private party there is no warranty!

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

bar20 wrote:
Why would you put "as is" in a ad? Everyone knows when you buy from a private party there is no warranty!
I've bought and sold a bit myself, especially in the last year. Craig's list is a great resource, but one thing I've found is that I don't assume anything as an absolute. This seller may have something wrong with his bike that he is covering with the posted "as is", or he may just think he needs it in the ad for some reason. I've seen people list stuff as being in good condition, get there to look at it and it was crap. I've seen others with almost no description at all,and a great price, and there was nothing wrong with it. Some people are absolutely clueless how to do this stuff. No idea about this seller, just saw the very low mileage and an apparently desperate seller, and thought someone might end up with a very good deal. :)

NP btw, I was just clarifying my reasons for posting it, in case people weren't sure.

John

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

It's a good idea to add, "as is". Ever sell something and have the guy come back a half dozen times over something or other, because he expected a perfect deal? Just protection on the seller's part.

Besides, the bike IS 16 years old, and $7K is still up there.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
imported post

I'm suprised that is stillonCList.I am in the market now butI wasn't too keen on the color of this one. Still, with only 16K on miles it might be worth it. I have to wait till I'm in thenew house (hopefully by the end of this month) before I can buy anything though. Just a couple more weeks.

There are a couple ofred ones (it is rumored to be the fastest color) in Oregon I'd like to look at but again I have to wait until the end of the month.

I think they put the AS IS in the ad, not because there is anything wrong with it, but to ensure they are not responsible for anything that may happen in the near future. I think it may be a case of "In Washington, be sure to cover thy rear" :shock:

don't ya just love this weather we're havin....

take care John....

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

Even "AS IS" could mean the seller doesn't have the $$ to certify the bike..

I've just been downsized to 4 of 5 days and it will hurt..

This seller could be down to 0 out of 5 days!!

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

logtech wrote:
don't ya just love this weather we're havin....

take care John....
Oh yeah. :( Snow in March in the Puget sound area. Sheesh!

Glad to see things are getting better for you. :) Hope you get your house deal done quickly. Are you gonna be back in the Tacoma area or still in Thurston Co?

·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Mr. Fix it wrote:
This seller could be down to 0 out of 5 days!!
That's my guess. :(

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

yes, the economy is having its' effects.

One of my co-workers got downgraded in pay scale last week about 7.5%

If he accepted, he would still get a check. If he didn't, well............

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
yes, the economy is having its' effects.

One of my co-workers got downgraded in pay scale last week about 7.5%

If he accepted, he would still get a check. If he didn't, well............
My former employer did that a couple of times during the 90's. They have decided that it was better to lay off workers and lower their work force then make everyone take a pay cut. More then likely when the economy turns around, and it will, he will never see that 7.5% made up. On the other hand if you have skilled workers it's hard letting them go and then having to retrain new people. Either way it sucks!Unless he is highly skilled at his job and their are no other jobs out there then he has only one choice. I bet his employer if they really tried could save that 7.5% in other ways.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I love the color of this bike. I'm on the wrong coast to go look, and even if I could, the purse strings are pulled a little tight these days!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.