Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all,

I am chasing what I beleive to be some sort of a cooling problem and nothing fits the symptoms. Therefore I will start with something that is probably insignificant. I removed, with minimal bloodshed and swearing, both radiators and Thermostat. On the inside of the tstat housing there is a male lip. Does it matter where this is positioned when I reassemble the cooling system?

Yes I am anxiously awaiting comments as to why I have a male lip floating about in my cooling system...I didn't cuss so loud it scared the dogs or the ol' lady came down and felt it necessary toknock my lips off!:waiting::waiting::waiting:Just checked, both are intact!:cheesygrin:

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

Maybe a picture would help. Doesn't seam to be a mention in the manual of what you describe.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The factory manual makes no mention of it, local Honda shops haven't a clue. Find it hard to believe Honda would do something without it serving a purpose. Cooling system acts as though the stat is stuck open. Slow to warm up, when hot and the fans cycle and I start moving again it takes a long time for the temp to drop. The 94 and 93 always mimicked each other temp wise. I checked the stat, per the factory manual, and it checks okay. A $30.00 replacement has been ordered. Couldn't find an auto 'stat to match it up.:XThanks, Rick.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

A post I read said car thermostat equivalent

93 Mitsubishi Montero 3000/v6
180 deg #143-0687
or
81 civic #2040-180

seal is
Murry 2278

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I bought a stock Honda unit and tested it tonite...here's what I found. It seems to open just a little early temp wise. When it does get up to temp it opens a full .100 inch more, .31 inch is what the automobile stat opens to at slightly higher temps than the auto thermostat I was running to replace the original. That might not sound like much but it is 30% more... lotta volume. This may be a part worth buying from mother Honda at her inflated prices. Flame suit on....Rick.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

It may sound simple, but are you sure you put the thermostat in facing the correct way? Also what kind of coolant are you using, and what ratio of water/coolant?

Have you found any leaks or sweating around any of the hoses?
Might indicate air getting into the system.

Make sure you check your coolant level when bike is cold, and a check it at the reservoir tank not at the rad cap.
Oh, and the cap itself might be suspect, check the condition of the gasket.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yup, spring down. Don't think it would fit upside down. Not sure tho. Silicate/phosphate(?) free or Honda auto coolant 50/50 mix.
No leaks but I did remove the factory "tape" several years back. The system got burped too.
I check it cold at the cap and also at the reserve tank. Always good levels. Radiators were soaked in a strong solution of simple green over nite to loosen dirt and bugs. Very little dirt on the outsides. Bugs were air hosed off and they were minimal.System was flushed with distilled water and rubber grommet into the reserve tank inspected for tears. Will replace the cap in the spring if this persists.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.